ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Help

clio sport 172, mk1
Iv just bought my first SLR and wondered if anyone had any handy tips for great pics? Im also looking at getting a decent editing package but not sure which to go for? Id like Photoshop but it's pretty pricey, is there a cheap way of downloading it or any other cheapish alternatives?

My camera is a Nikon D40 with a 18mm - 55mm lense. It came with the manual, strap, spare batt, mem card, fast charger and cd rom, I paid £240 inc del, is that a fair price?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Stu

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Btw go to Google and look for 'GIMP'. It's a free alternative to Photoshop.

But everyone knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a friend who has a cousin with Photoshop. If you know what I mean...

I would forget any photoshop program for the minute. As you'll be tempted to take poor photos and try to make them look amazing by editing the hell out of them, like that horrid HDR craze for example.

Learn how to control the camera, and what changing the shutter speed/aperture/ISO does for example.

Just get out there and take photos of everything. You'll probably end up with some not so great photos at first, as everyone did when they first went out with a camera. But review your images and learn from your mistakes.

There's only so much you can learn from reading.

2.2 bar shed.
Forget photoshop, buy lightroom and that should be all you'll need. Once you've learnt the basics of Aperture/Shutter speed and ISO there isnt really much more than can be taught (theres loads of other rules that can be used regarding framing etc but theyre things that can be bent...). Just save your money and go take pictures!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
First thing I did when I got my camera was to research on YouTube and watch loads of guides on how to use it and tutorials on shutterspeed, ISO and aperature. I then went out and tested what I had learnt, try experimenting with the different settings once you know what they do to produce different images.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I started off with A D40 :) well as my first DSLR, had a few others before that.

As the man says
Read the guides. Practice. Edit. Bin most of them. Practice. Edit. Practice. Edit. Practice. Bin slightly less. Practice. Buy more expensive things.

:D

So get out and enjoy it ;)