ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pinking and using oil

My car sounds like its pinking quite a lot, generally when under labour i.e. accelerating. Doesn't do it when your cruising along or the engine is idleing though

It's also using a lot of oil, having to top it up about once every 2-3 weeks (doing about 400 miles a week)

Is this timing related as thats what I've read about it. Fuel mixtures etc not being correct and not igniting at the correct time.

What can I do to fix it?

Cheers in advance guys

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Firstly I would get the timing checked ! Anyone / a garage should be able to do that in a few minutes with a timing gun.

Has it had a belt changed recently ? It could have just slipped a tooth or two if the belt is getting old as well... When is it due !?

ITB'd MK1
timing isn't adjustable. Cambelt fitted wrong is a possible, also really crap fuel (contaminated) would cause issues. Are you sure it's not just a manifold blow?

Regarding oil consumption, is there a leak, or does it seem to be burning the oil?

It had its cambelt done by the garage as part of the deal for me buying the car. It was done in February this year.
Been using normal shell unleaded since I bought it and its gradually got worse.

It also seems to be burning oil as there no leaks that I can see. Did an oil change with filter about a month back and its doing it again with the new oil.

Cheers for your replies guys

2003 clio 172
Normal unleaded isn't going to do you any favours
get some super unleaded in there to reduce the pinking
not sure about the oil though, any burning smell ?

My tanks nearly empty so I will run a couple of tanks of super through it. See if it makes any difference. And no there is no burning smell or anything, no leaks, just seems to drink oil for some reason

2003 clio 172
Sorry just realised it's a 1.2
still try some super though
400 miles a week is a fair bit though, how much oil you putting in ?

When I did the oil change, must of been mid-May thinking about it, I filled it to maximum on the dipstick with a 5litre drum, didn't use all of it but since then I've had to use the rest of the drum. Dunno how much was used though

Let the car run until it said there was literally 0 litres of fuel in and filled up with V-Power.
Used half a tank of it and it seems to have cured the pinking noises.

Filled it up to maximum on the oil dipstick aswell so will check next week to see the levels compared to mileage.

Cheers for all the help and I will get back to you on the oil situation

Using Shell V-Power stopped the pinking noises but the car still seems to burn oil a lot.

It just seems to lose/burn oil slowly. Have had to top it up from just below minimum since the last time I posted.

Currently doing around 1000 miles a month, and if I'm correct in saying that from maximum to minimum is 1 litre so in 4000 miles its managed to burn 2 litres of oil.

I shouldn't need to touch the oil at all except for oil changes?

Any advice?