ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pioneer amp woes (electrical help)

I have an old Pioneer VSX D812 amp, it's is old but still a very good amp. Last night after playing some loudish music for a long period of time it stopped working. When i power it up it just says AMP EER. I have tried the reset and that but it still says AMP ERR after the reset. What should i be checking for inside? I'm guessing something has blown.

Thanks

Polo + Micra
does it smell ? if it does it's probably beyond repair

if not then you might of taken out a fuse or something

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
nice amps these. But tbh, there is little you can do yourself if somehting has broken. One thing you can check is that all speaker outputs are connected ok and showing a resistance between 8 and 16ohms as these amps will go into protection mode bewlow these values (try it with just 2 speakers to start off with).

If you are compedent witha soldering iron and the above doe snot fix your problem, you can check the internal PCB for dry joints as this is a known issue with that amp. Your baiscally looking for solder joints which do not look like the solder has flowed and created a good connection between pcb and component leg. Obviously disconnect all power before doing this as its dangerous inside.

It does it with no speakers connected, so I'm guessing something inside is borked. I can solder, but seems like a waste of time as there is one of these going on eBay for a tenner! Brilliant amp for the money in my opinion.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
It does it with no speakers connected, so I'm guessing something inside is borked. I can solder, but seems like a waste of time as there is one of these going on eBay for a tenner! Brilliant amp for the money in my opinion.

depends how much your time is worth, it would probably take no more than 20mins to run a soldering iron over the audio circuit. Or you could be ubber lazy and stick the pcb in the oven... :p

that one on ebay will probs sell for more then £10, plus theres postage costs.