ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pipercross induction help

Clio Sport 182
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a really dire and nooby question! When I bought my 182 from the previous owner, it already had a pipercross air induction fitted.

Problem is, I've just noticed on some sites that they display a pipe taking air from the grille to filter - does anyone recommend this? If so, is this section available to buy seperate?

Cheers

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
What i would recommend doing is going back to a standard air box

Clio Sport 182
You think? I was looking at upgrading to the ktec cold air induction.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a standard/V6 one in that case!

Clio 182
This^ if anything the induction kit will loose you power

Why would it cause you to lose power getting more cold air in mate ? (im not beng funny im actually genuinely interested )... as i was about to upgrade the induction kit currently on mine, also for the KTR one

Cheers

172 cup
When a induction kit is fitted on the standard elbow it is too close to the engine and gets heatsoaked, thus sucking in hot less dense air.

the Ktec design is good as it is away from the engine, but imo expensive. i just made my own version for £49 will all new parts!

Clio 182
When a induction kit is fitted on the standard elbow it is too close to the engine and gets heatsoaked, thus sucking in hot less dense air.

the Ktec design is good as it is away from the engine, but imo expensive. i just made my own version for £49 will all new parts!

Ah right just the heat soak issue then - thats what im worried about with mine, its got a 57i on it at the mo, cold air feed pipes to it, but its still exposed and close to the coolant hose etc. Looking to change it for the Ktec one or the CDA one, but as you say they are seriously expensive :(

Clio Sport 182

Really good to know that bud! Im well new to all this stuff so it's taking me a while to learn! Might give renparts a ring and stop by at the weekend!

172 cup
6283B741-B5F2-460B-822F-FEF23819A75E-3089-0000039EDAB4E8B9.jpg

2E7EA88F-E412-4139-BC54-2D70998D5BA7-3089-0000039EE37CE80D.jpg

172 cup
^^^^ not the best pictures and my engine bay is looking a state, which I am in the process of sorting, but as you can see fits well and was easy to do. Only done it last night so havent taken it for a real run yet.

Clio 182
Cheers for that mate, that looks a much better set up (if you cant afford the enclosed units) ... Ive already got the samco hose coming, so i may try and find a aluminium bend pipe like yours to take the filter away from the hot air...just need to find out the diameter later!

Much appreciated :)

172 cup
well i know that the pipe that fits on the throttle body is 70mm id if that helps. A quick note though, there are two different size batteries, an 075 and 063 type. you will need the smaller 063 for this to work.

172 cup
i was going to do this aswell, ASH have all parts required to make at fraction of cost, did you use 70mm 45deg silicone hose and polished pipe ? does standard airbox hav a cold air feed that can be used with this ? looks good

172 cup
I used ASH for the parts. ordered 70mm id 90 silicone bend ( you will need to trim some off throttle body end but it is easy to cut), 70mm od alloy bend, the ASH twin cone induction kit and a breather filter. however with the breather filter i ordered the 18mm id and it is a bit big so might be worth getting the size down 15mm iirc. as for the air feed i had the standard air feed which i cut to the right lenght.

172 cup
There is a hose that connects to the standard elbow. Follow that back to the engine, at the back under the distributor. Pull the hose off and put the breather filter directly on the outlet in the engine. Hope this makes sense

www.renparts.co.uk
Im not sure who Iv got in at the weekend, so if you want something give me a call fri & I can make sure its under the counter ready for you if you want :)

Clio 182
well i know that the pipe that fits on the throttle body is 70mm id if that helps. A quick note though, there are two different size batteries, an 075 and 063 type. you will need the smaller 063 for this to work.

Thanks for that mate id have had no idea about the battery sizes, ill have a play about and see what can be done with mine. Given me good ideas now though, thanks again

Clio 182
You could maybe get a filter like the one I have if not. Takes up less room in front of the battery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170864725573?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Even with it moved more towards the battery area, would you not still think it needs an enclosure around the filter ? (like the viper/cda etc)

Ill have to have a good look to see if i think mine would fit alongside the battery, if not as you say, may need a thinner one like that regal one you have

Id prefer a KTR one though second hand, but no-one gives them up haha

Clio Sport 182
Im not sure who Iv got in at the weekend, so if you want something give me a call fri & I can make sure its under the counter ready for you if you want :)

I started to call you at dinner Kat then realised what time it was and had to shoot back to work! Do you have any aftermarket/standard ones in stock? Plus, any decent exhausts in at the minute?

Even with it moved more towards the battery area, would you not still think it needs an enclosure around the filter ? (like the viper/cda etc)

Ill have to have a good look to see if i think mine would fit alongside the battery, if not as you say, may need a thinner one like that regal one you have

Id prefer a KTR one though second hand, but no-one gives them up haha

Personally I don’t think you need it to be enclosed once you have positioned the filter in front of the battery, it never seems to get hot enough there. The enclosed systems are meant, to my understanding, to be used if it will be right next to the engine and the filter will need protecting from sucking heat in etc.

Yes the KTR one is nice but I’m happy enough with my one and glad I got it. Also it works in the same principle as well

Clio 182
Personally I don’t think you need it to be enclosed once you have positioned the filter in front of the battery, it never seems to get hot enough there. The enclosed systems are meant, to my understanding, to be used if it will be right next to the engine and the filter will need protecting from sucking heat in etc.

Yes the KTR one is nice but I’m happy enough with my one and glad I got it. Also it works in the same principle as well

Thanks for that, ill see what rooms available on mine when I get home from work. Have you got a pic of yours fitted please mate?

Cheers
Mike

172 cup
Well i had the 075 battery in there at first and the pipe work wouldnt have fitted even with a small filter. this is the filter that is pictured http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/twin-cone-performance-air-filter-air-induction-filter.html fits in fine (063 battery), the diameters are on the website though if you dont like the design.

As for the heat shield, as said it is well away from the engine so shouldnt need it. plus its right on top of my standard air feeds. I do like the Ktec on but it is £120 more than what i paid for mine.

Thanks for that, ill see what rooms available on mine when I get home from work. Have you got a pic of yours fitted please mate?

Cheers
Mike

I haven't got a picture of my set up at the moment but its very similar to peanuthead's one just with a different filter. Will post a picture up tomorrow of mine if I remember though. Don’t know about peanuthead but I also removed my acoustic valve and cold air feed pipe that’s near the battery. Just seemed to take up room

As to matzki, its up to you what route you take when it comes to your induction setup. I guess for me I wanted a setup that made a bit more noise when accelerating through the rev range but at the same time not suck in to much engine heat. However having said that I've never heard what the V6 air box sounds like but the standard air box was just to quite for me

Clio 182
I haven't got a picture of my set up at the moment but its very similar to peanuthead's one just with a different filter. Will post a picture up tomorrow of mine if I remember though. Don’t know about peanuthead but I also removed my acoustic valve and cold air feed pipe that’s near the battery. Just seemed to take up room

As to matzki, its up to you what route you take when it comes to your induction setup. I guess for me I wanted a setup that made a bit more noise when accelerating through the rev range but at the same time not suck in to much engine heat. However having said that I've never heard what the V6 air box sounds like but the standard air box was just to quite for me

Cheers for that mate

I had a look at mine when I got in and theres definitely no room near the battery so ive obviously got the bigger type of battery. I need to win some money then I can have a KTR setup haha :(

If you make your own use a high quality filter--ITG, K&n,Ramair etc ... the cheapo nasty ones don't filter anything and all the dust and s**t passes straight through it..

Cheers for that mate

I had a look at mine when I got in and theres definitely no room near the battery so ive obviously got the bigger type of battery. I need to win some money then I can have a KTR setup haha :(

Well it’s up to you what you do then, you could get a new smaller battery and sell the larger one on and create your own KTR type induction kit and maybe save the money up to buy one later on or just try a V6 air box. Got a picture of my engine bay so you can see what mines like