ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PiperX Viper Noise Improvements

Integra DC5 Type R

Hey guys, finally got the Viper fitted, but am a bit disappointed with the lack of sound improvement. it just sound standard. was kinda expecting a noticeable change in note from the engine. Is this normal?

My brother has a ProComp IK on his VTS and until he chipped it, it was really quiet. Now its louder than the exhaust!

Clio 172 Ph2

Are you telling me you cant hear the difference when you put your foot down?! Do you wear ear-muffs in the car or something? ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rick_172 on 07 October 2003

Hey guys, finally got the Viper fitted, but am a bit disappointed with the lack of sound improvement. it just sound standard. was kinda expecting a noticeable change in note from the engine. Is this normal?
Eh?!

My Viper sounds superb and its a totally different noise to standard!

Integra DC5 Type R

yeah, so you can understand how gutted i am! I dont know why this is. i just ducted the cold air from the standard feed like you guys have. am gonna take it off and have another look.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rick_172 on 08 October 2003

yeah, so you can understand how gutted i am! I dont know why this is. i just ducted the cold air from the standard feed like you guys have. am gonna take it off and have another look.
Mine sounds mint!

But its not really loud like an open induction kit, however theres still a great induction roar.

Integra DC5 Type R

OK lads, cheers for you advice. it was clear something was wrong with it. i checked it out when i got home from work today. Originally i had piped it into the standard air feed. took it out of here and down to front (temporarily until i plumb it in somewhere)... I now get the sound :oops: so it looks like the standard feed didnt measure up :)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 09 October 2003

wheres the best position to take the airfeed to anyhow?
Down to the front of the car, I run mine down on between the rad & wheelarch...

any1 got any pics off this, i may get a viper at end of month , are they worth it?

i dont really wanna get a open induction kit and suck in that warm air!

what du they sound like

i used to have a 1.6 corsa with drilled airbox an k&n pannel will it be louder?

Integra DC5 Type R

I done the same as Rich. With the 172 there isnt much choice. Too many obstructions getting to the front grille. You could run it down to the grate in front of the front wheel, but you would have to remove the standard air intake. I will probably do this, but i can see it being a nightmare to access, and you have to be careful you dont hurt your xenon light mounting. At the moment, i have taken it straight down from the inlet to the Viper casing, through to the bottom of the engine bay... cold air sinks eh ;-)

Clio 172 Cup

are there any manuals, pics on how to do this? I get my viper on fri and i dont know a lot about cars really. is it really difficult to get the cold air feed down to the front grill? i cant see anyway through down there!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by jpmad4it2 on 09 October 2003

are there any manuals, pics on how to do this? I get my viper on fri and i dont know a lot about cars really. is it really difficult to get the cold air feed down to the front grill? i cant see anyway through down there!
Ill take some pics mate, or you could pop over to mine when you get it...

Clio 172 Ph2

none of the pics on that other thread would load up for me :-(

Does anyone know where you can buy new tubing? I cut mine down but now I want another go at routing it to the lower gril.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

contact Piper X....as I live close to them I called in and they replaced all mine for free!!

just as effective to use the feed through the front bumper, gets just as much air

les hassle too

plus when it gets foggy, you will want both fog lights

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 10 October 2003

What about removing a foglight and slapping the feed in there instead? i was thinking of this.
Yup, this has been done by a few people and Hill Power do a fog light scoop to suit

Clio 172 Ph2

paul172,

Thanks, those pics work fine. I guess the site was being weird when I tried it last time, all I got was a blank page. No error or anything.

I dont suppose you could get a pic of the pipe from the underside of the car could you?! Like from behind the bumper so I can see how you actually got it to the back of the grille.

chris172,

Piper X said to contact one of their destributors with the part number of the viper kit Id got and then theyd order it for me (from Piper X) !! Seems a bit of a long way round to me!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

RB

they havent got a shop its just the factory. Guess because I turned up on their doorstep they obliged with the goodies :)