ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Piston cooling oil jets - replace or blank off.

As per title, on re-building an engine has anyone blanked these off and re-assembled the engine without issues?
A couple in my block will have to be machined out and am concerned in loosing the interference fit for replacements.
For years engines didn't have these and I am wondering if there are specific cooling issues with the stock Renault pistons.
Any info or advice gratefully received.
Cheers.

Thanks chaps, in they stay! I had spoken to someone whom builds Subaru engines and they often remove them but different needs for different engines hence the question. Thanks for replies.

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
Cut them off with side cutters!!

(Dont actually do this, only an idiot would do that)

172 cup, Impreza P1
Thanks chaps, in they stay! I had spoken to someone whom builds Subaru engines and they often remove them but different needs for different engines hence the question. Thanks for replies.

Oil squirters are on Subaru cdb's for cooling as they don't have cooling jackets round the cylinders. All other blocks do and so the squirters aren't needed. Never heard of anyone removing them from cdb builds.

Ok, as a follow on from original question - thanks for replies - machining has been completed and I need to fit the new jets! is it just a case of tapping them in with a drift and should I put some sort of retaining compound (Loctite) on them too?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ok, as a follow on from original question - thanks for replies - machining has been completed and I need to fit the new jets! is it just a case of tapping them in with a drift and should I put some sort of retaining compound (Loctite) on them too?
They're handed so you need to make sure you fit them in the correct corresponding positions mate. If your not sure put a piston in the block to see the positioning. Other than that knock them in dry with no loctite using a drift. Make sure you don't knock them in further than they need to be. Hopefully you've noted the positions and depths of the originals.

HBT 172 Cup
Remove the oil gallery core plugs at the end of the block and use a pry bar to push them out. This is how the machine shop did mine, albeit i didnt see it and the pry bar might be a special DIY concoction of twisted metal, all im saying is drilling isnt the only way to remove them.

I certainly wouldnt blank them off, i imagine renault cheese pistons could do with all the cooling thats available to them.

Thanks Mark, I guessed that they're handed with the 2 different part numbers and photographed them before removing and have the old ones to gauge depth.
thanks Laine. I ended up removing them by tig welding a bolt on the end and using a slide hammer - came out really easy! I have removed the oil gallery plugs for cleaning so I'll have a look and see if its possible that way too. Thanks for help - there probably be more questions over the next few days !!
Cheers.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Can anyone help me with how to remove and how to refit them? I need to bore the engine block but the machine shop does not help me with those.
Cheers

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Can anyone help me with how to remove and how to refit them? I need to bore the engine block but the machine shop does not help me with those.
Cheers
Thanks Mark, I guessed that they're handed with the 2 different part numbers and photographed them before removing and have the old ones to gauge depth.
thanks Laine. I ended up removing them by tig welding a bolt on the end and using a slide hammer - came out really easy! I have removed the oil gallery plugs for cleaning so I'll have a look and see if its possible that way too. Thanks for help - there probably be more questions over the next few days !!
Cheers.