ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Piston Ring's

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Hi all,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my F4R and I've just measured the compression ring squared up to the block. It's came out as 0.305mm, which to my understanding is past the 0.15 - 0.25 tolerance.

Where is best to get a hold of a set of these and are they expensive ? I don't really want to slap forged items in as this is my first build and not really that confident to spend mega cash.

Regards
Paul

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Ah bugger, I was hoping they would be cheap ! No other alternatives I guess !

Cheers Yoda

HBT 172 Cup
King components, £65 for a set of Hastings rings (Huge American OE supplier). Running my 250bhp without issues..

HBT 172 Cup
Ideal, did you have to file your's at all ?

Not sure, i just gave them to the machine shop when the honed my block, so long ago i cant remember :(

However foxy used the same rings, and all his ring end clearances checked out without any filing.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Yeah Fred, with a feeler. Does it seem excessively high for wear ? The bore is still textured but it really could do with roughing up.

The engine itself was a John Doe with no history, one of the cam lobes was cracked all the way through and the end plate had a hole in it - so it could be in bad shape.

Clio RS
So where would be the best place and what brand to order set of piston rings since it is time to replace them on my Clio 172 ph1...
Thanks...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have you measured the piston to bore clearance?
As if that clearance is also too large, new rings wont really help you much for long.

Given the price of a gasket and belt set etc, I'd just buy genuine rings rather than try and save 30 quid on them by shopping around for random makes.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
A friend bought a set of Mahle piston rings for his ph1, do they need any kid of modification when installing? the producer says they do but we're not that sure

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
A friend bought a set of Mahle piston rings for his ph1, do they need any kid of modification when installing? the producer says they do but we're not that sure
You need to measure each ring individually in the bore they're destined to be fitted in and take it from there. If it's too tight then they will need adjusting.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You need to check the dimensions as already mentioned above:

1 - Piston to Bore clearance
2 - Ring gap