ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

play in a cayman s

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
BTW i live in a flat...

you said FLAT;)

I so hate people who say Apartment to sound posh.

F*CK OFF if your posh buy a House lol.

Back on topic, when you enter the garage there should be but one question

"What colour would you like your 911 sir?" END

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
So if average joe is not finding the limits on the M74, or knockhill why is the 911 more suitable for daily use? I'm curious to know. Just because you choose to ignore one side of an arguement which let's face it is subjective and based on personal opinions rather than cold hard fact why does it become CS logic?

Are you in a city centre? store all your cars there? do you have offstreet parking rather than a solitary space? As I've said different people have difference circumstances, and have different needs from a car. Just because in your situation/opinion the Cayman is not a better car than the 911 does not make it the case for every potential Porsche owner.

Si, i'm quoting your previous comment!! You arguement is based on the Cayman being better without the aids..."Avg joe - used loosely" wants a car for whatever reason and then possibly to thrash about at the weekend. Although i would imagine the lesser percentage of Porsche sales do! Not everyone cares about track performance or chassis. hell i've got a V6...Not exactly renound for out and out pace is it? You buy a car to suit you and you alone. To come in here (Not having a go at you here) and instantly say the cayman is a much better car than the 911 is bulls**t! It may be cheaper and the same performance. But it's not got the prestige of the 911, the heritage and solid foundations of 30yrs of development work.

Last edited:
Si, i'm quoting your previous comment!! You agruement is based on the Cayman being better without the aids..."Avg joe - used loosely" wants a car for whatever reason and then possibly to thrash about at the weekend. Although i would imagine the lesser percentage of Porsche sales do! Not everyone cares about track performance or chassis. hell i've got a V6...Not exactly renound for out and out pace is it? You buy a car to suit you and you alone. To come in here (Not having a go at you here) and instantly say the cayman is a much better car than the 911 is bulls**t! It may be cheaper and the same performance. But it's not got the prestige of the 911, the heritage and solid foundations of 30yrs of development work.

I've not at any point in this thread or on the forum said the Cayman is a better car than a 911. You cannot however argue the fact that depending on who is buying the car it is the better CHOICE vs a 911 for them. The point about the balance and chassis with regards to Mr average is still valid too, the Cayman is far more neutral and forgiving than a 911 when pushed to it's limit, you can't defy physics. Which for most people is more fun to press hard, in the 911 unless you're an arrogant prick or very capable driver you'll always be wondering when that weight in the back is going to catch you out and put you in a hedge.

It hasn't got the prestige, image or following of the 911 but we're talking about a car that has been iconic for 40 odd years. What car out there has? There's nothing that springs to mind with the lineage of the 911.

V6 Exige, GTR R35
i agree - the 911 has an image of its own.

never have i been in a car where ive had w**ker shouted at me or people giving me the bird just for driving past them!

the cayman doesnt have the 911 image, but is probably just as capable as say the carrera 2 and carrera 4. It also doesnt look as good as any 911 be it the 996 or the 997.

the turbo is in a different league - not because of the chassis but the power, as the chassis and the gizmos and gadgets remain the same.

both are every day useable cars, im sure though that a very high percentage of porsches never see the track, or are pushed to there limits every day.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
At the end of the day we're comparing cars in a different league. Porsche designed the Boxster to be the Baby, the Cayman to be the middle and the 911 to be top line.

Much like to a certain degree. The Twingo, the Clio 200 & the megane...(Rough example) there all priced differently, powered differently, differently equiped.

Seein at the 200 is on similar pace to the Megane and 5k less, does it make it a better buy. So some yes, to some no.

I'm sure the Cayman is a good bus, even the OP said so, but it will, whether you agree with it or not live in the shadow of it's big brother. Porsche made it that way deliberately.

At the end of the day we're comparing cars in a different league. Porsche designed the Boxster to be the Baby, the Cayman to be the middle and the 911 to be top line.

I'm sure the Cayman is a good bus, even the OP said so, but it will, whether you agree with it or not live in the shadow of it's big brother. Porsche made it that way deliberately.

With that I'm in agreement, the mere fact that the LSD wasn't fitted is proof positive the car wasn't exploited fully so as to keep the 911 buying public from being tempted by the cheaper model. In the same way Renault would not release a clio packing the same kind of power as the megane for fear of losing sales.

It's just a pity that for the most part people will tag the Cayman as a "poor man's Porsche" it's a million miles from being a pretender of a car. The frustrating fact is most of the moron's have never driven either car, let alone in anger. The Cayman is an awesome bit of kit and if it had the same kind of history behind it and therefore a level playing field in terms of public perception/image, I would be interested to see peoples opinions on it then.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I always laugh at 'poor man's porsche', I can envisage the line of tramps at the local centre queing up to buy a Cayman.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
tbh the only one who seems normal in this thread is stoddie...

everyone else is either wildly one side or the other.

I had written out my thoughts having driven a modern 911 and a boxster (not a cayman but pretty dam close tbh) but i can't be bothered to post it. ultimatley, what is the point?

cayman is cool, 911 is cool. you pick what you like, you buy what you want etc etc.

Meh.