ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

play in a cayman s

V6 Exige, GTR R35
while the 911 is in getting a few bits and bobs done i got this to play with for a couple of days. only 1500 miles on the clock and the gear box is as tight as a mouses lug.

never been a fan of the cayman, i think the back end looks a bit daft. When you look in the wing mirrors all you can see is this horrid bulge on the back wheel arches.

however thats all i dont like - as its the "s" its got 320 horses over the back wheels and is rather quick, and sounds awesome.

inside is a cracking place to be, sat nav is superb and the car is comfy and quiet while motorway cruising.

doesnt quite attract the attention like the 911 but still very nice.

would i buy one - maybe! ;)

DSC00040.gif

DSC00041.gif

DSC00042.gif

DSC00044.gif

DSC00043-2.gif

Cayman S sport is what you want, if you want to stand out order it in orange black wheels and decals and it looks like a mini GT3 RS. Superbly balanced car and for all the fuckwits that will say it's "not a proper Porsche" I'd wager most of them wouldn't have the ability to push the Cayman to it's limits let alone a 911.

I heard that when designing the cayman Porsche realised they could end up with a cheaper car that was better than the 911 could ever dream of being, IIRC they had to restrain themselves from doing just that!

V6 Exige, GTR R35
it is stupid quick, probably quicker than my c4s

i just dont have the confidence of a rwd car to be honest - especially after the tvr was written off! its arse is so twitchy

the good thing with the 911 and the turbo is that it comes in 4wd

tbh it's very well balanced with the weight so central and low down. You don't get the same viscious pendulum effect that a 911 gives when you get a bit too brave. That said if you've got the traction and stability all on then you'll struggle to get it to come unstuck unless you're being a complete penis anyway. I've thrashed several now at Bedford, silverstone etc and they're superb.

I like that, apart from the colour. I reckon the 911 looks much better, so would probably still go for that rather that the cayman. Meant to be a very good car though!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The cayman s is a very good car.I havent read a bad report yet.A great balance of chassis and power.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
With respect, they are better than a 911, easily! Not so good in silver though.

PMSL. You talk so much s**t Rob! Put down the Evo mag and step into the real world. The 911 is as refined as it gets, a big car yes, but the dynamics of the chassis is leagues ahead of anything in its class.

I'd have your 911 over that any day Al! Much nicer looking, sounds 10x nicer, and as we both know you feel safe in it.

Not discrediting the Cayman, i'm sure it is a good car. But not everyone in life wants the fastest/quickest/most balanced/most technology/best interior...etc.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
PMSL. You talk so much s**t Rob! Put down the Evo mag and step into the real world. The 911 is as refined as it gets, a big car yes, but the dynamics of the chassis is leagues ahead of anything in its class.

I'd have your 911 over that any day Al! Much nicer looking, sounds 10x nicer, and as we both know you feel safe in it.

Not discrediting the Cayman, i'm sure it is a good car. But not everyone in life wants the fastest/quickest/most balanced/most technology/best interior...etc.

The 911's interior is nothing special at the price. They've improved the dynamics by using electronic's to try and hide the fact it's rear engined! If that layout is even half decent, why is no one else using it? The basic 911 is for badge *****'s like my jew friend, the layout doesn't make sense (as Porsche basically admitted by trying to kill it off with the 928).

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'd have one possibly over a 911, not sure why but i've alwasy loved the caymans..

I give you...
040808por.jpg

V6 Exige, GTR R35
gally, theres a red one with black wheels in the porsche edinburgh showroom - tis very very nice, i just dont like the back end of them. its sitting outside my house with its back to the window and i think it just looks stupid.

you could turn the seats round and drive it in reverse and it would look okay!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that was a limited edition, I don't even know if they made it or not.

I like the face lift front end look.

And I thought the back looks good.

That orange one looks guff! Total wannabe. Looks like its trying too hard

I can't see why anyone would pick a cayman over the 911 if they could afford both.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
gally, theres a red one with black wheels in the porsche edinburgh showroom - tis very very nice, i just dont like the back end of them. its sitting outside my house with its back to the window and i think it just looks stupid.

you could turn the seats round and drive it in reverse and it would look okay!
Flol! I see what you mean with the slop at the back!

That red one sounds nice. My boss always takes one as his courtesy car when his turbo goes in. Wouldn't mind seeing that red one.

He uses Porsche Glasgow.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
where you getting yours worked on mate? my dad just picked this up yesterday from JZM if youve herd of it?

2009-07-10170113.jpg

Needs the larger spoiler tbh if you feel it looks the same at each end. I'd have one over a 996 non turbo/GT3/GT3 RS/GT2 without a shadow of a doubt.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
That orange one looks guff! Total wannabe. Looks like its trying too hard

I can't see why anyone would pick a cayman over the 911 if they could afford both.

Drive one, spec for spec the cayman is the nicer drive. If they ever turbo one, it would be epic. The 997t makes the gallardo feel slightly lacking.

Drive both back to back, on a track, hard, with the aids turned off. Then come back to me ;)

LOL. I'm not doubting the Cayman is a great car, all the reviews I've read on it have raved about it.

All I'm saying is, I wouldn't buy one over a 911.

V6 Exige, GTR R35
yeah ive heard of JZM.

work is getting done at porsche edinburgh, new belts, a cooling water hose, small oil leak from one of the banks is getting investigated and the rear main seal is getting done under warrenty as its always been a problem on the 996's.

i took the cayman out for a good blast last night, i wouldnt say it handles any better than the 911, however aids were on as it was a bit damp, the C4s is a bit tail happy in the wet, but its what youre used to i suppose. foot down in a straight line id say there wouldnt be much in it at all

Drive one, spec for spec the cayman is the nicer drive. If they ever turbo one, it would be epic. The 997t makes the gallardo feel slightly lacking.

Yeah prob

The 997t may be faster/easier to drive, but its still not as special/different as the Gallardo. Which is what I wanted. Was at a car show on sunday, there was a 997 GT2 (which is arguably the best looking 911 there is) and 2 Gallardo's. Guess which people were more interested in. The 911 just doesn't have that 'X Factor'. Besides, this is a 911/Cayman debate, stay on topic ;)

I'd rather have a GT3/RS over a 997 turbo

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The 911's interior is nothing special at the price. They've improved the dynamics by using electronic's to try and hide the fact it's rear engined! If that layout is even half decent, why is no one else using it? The basic 911 is for badge *****'s like my jew friend, the layout doesn't make sense (as Porsche basically admitted by trying to kill it off with the 928).

Entirely a matter of opinion again!! What you may like is your opinion. The interior is a nice place to be, controls are to hand and it's purposeful.

They all have electronics and thats core to safety. It's a commercial market they're selling to. Business men and then the drivers market.

If the layouts so bad why has it won more Leman's than anyone else? Why is the most sucessful sold sports car in the world? Why do people keep coming back to them? Why has the design/chassis changed so little in 30yrs!?

Your barkin up the wrong tree here sir.

V6 Exige, GTR R35
theres a black gallardo just beside the porsche garage - £149k looks epic though.

all these masaratis, ferrari's lambo's make my C4s look like scrap!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Drive both back to back, on a track, hard, with the aids turned off. Then come back to me ;)

Aye, my 7miles to work is via Knockhill! :rolleyes: Who hoenstly gives a monkeys about track ability for a roadcar! If your that worried, buy a Lotus.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'm really starting to love the Cayman lately, I'm even starting to like the rear end. Its on the possibilities for next car.

Did they not race a Cayman against a 996 on fifth gear, 996 won iirc, but just. From what I've read about them, once fitted with an LSD they should be 911 beating.

I like the look of this:

porsche-cayman-s-sport-2-big.jpg

Aye, my 7miles to work is via Knockhill! :rolleyes: Who hoenstly gives a monkeys about track ability for a roadcar! If your that worried, buy a Lotus.

Just because for you there would be no benefit doesn't mean that's the case with everyone. There are alot of people who buy a Porsche to drive to work in the week and hammer on track at the weekend.

Not everyone wants a no frills bathtub on wheels to rattle about in. What about people who live in cities with only one parking space at their disposal? They can't have a track car and a comfortable car for the week. Just because you have your scottish ranch to dump your numerous vehicles doesn't mean everyone else has ;) A porsche is a car that can be a comfortable refined car in the week and a capable sports car at the track.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Just because for you there would be no benefit doesn't mean that's the case with everyone. There are alot of people who buy a Porsche to drive to work in the week and hammer on track at the weekend. Not everyone wants a no frills bathtub on wheels to rattle about in. What about people who live in cities with only one parking space at their disposal, they can't have a track car and a comfortable car for the week. Just because you have your scottish ranch to dump your numerous vehicles doesn't mean everyone else has ;) A porsche is a car that can be a comfortable refined car in the week and a capable sports car at the track.

lol. I doubt avg joe would find the limits of either car on the M74 or knockhill. So on that basis you buy the car most suitable for daily use! Not the one which is ever "apparently better with the aids off"!!!. CS logic. Undeniable!

BTW i live in a flat...

lol. I doubt avg joe would find the limits of either car on the M74 or knockhill. So on that basis you buy the car most suitable for daily use! Not the one which is ever "apparently better with the aids off"!!!. CS logic. Undeniable!

BTW i live in a flat...

So if average joe is not finding the limits on the M74, or knockhill why is the 911 more suitable for daily use? I'm curious to know. Just because you choose to ignore one side of an arguement which let's face it is subjective and based on personal opinions rather than cold hard fact why does it become CS logic?

Are you in a city centre? store all your cars there? do you have offstreet parking rather than a solitary space? As I've said different people have difference circumstances, and have different needs from a car. Just because in your situation/opinion the Cayman is not a better car than the 911 does not make it the case for every potential Porsche owner.

172, Tiguan
Lets face it, these days, if average Joe had the money to buy a Porsche, he'd buy a Cayenne.