ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PLAY IN STEERING RACK COST

Mk2 clio 1.2 16v POW
hi everyone my new car passed its mot before I purchased it with play in the steering rack both on the inner joints. Can I ask how much would this cost on average to sort out and also will this have any bearing on the tracking of the vehicle when I get it done next week when I have new tyres fitted.

Thank you so much

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Have the work done before the tracking is done. It will certainly mess up new tracking.

Hard to put a price on the work. If the play is the inner track tod then you should probably replace the inner and outer track rods, on a 182 that ends up being close to £100 per side using genuine Renault parts or likely £50 per side using good aftermarket parts.

At a garage, on a ramp the job would likely take 1-2 hours. Its not difficult, especially if they have the right tools for the inner.

Mk2 clio 1.2 16v POW
Thank you so much for all that information mate it's good to know on my little 1.2 the job isnt going to be end of the world. It was only an advisory so hopefully it will give me time to sort before next mot next year. I am getting new tyres fitted and the tracking is in will the deal will the tracking become a problem again more quickly because of the above cheers thanks

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you so much for all that information mate it's good to know on my little 1.2 the job isnt going to be end of the world. It was only an advisory so hopefully it will give me time to sort before next mot next year. I am getting new tyres fitted and the tracking is in will the deal will the tracking become a problem again more quickly because of the above cheers thanks
No worries,

It depends how much play there is, and if they play is actually where you think it is. Any track rod play can end up making the car drive poorly and also prematurely wear tyres. If I was having new tyres installed I would fix the issue. If your on a budget you don't have to do both sides, don't even have to do the outer rod however normally they are well seized. You could always ask the tracking place to have a look for you.

If its very bad then get the rods replaced and then have tracking done again.