ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Play music from iPad on Tv?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hello,

Basically, i've got some logitech speakers, which have a 3.5mm jack on them. They're the ones with 2 speakers and a big sub box, and I use them as a pikey sound system for my tv. I may buy surround sound next month though, so same principal. Take it as, i've got sound amplifiers plugged into my tv.

If I buy an apple TV, would that allow me to play my itunes music from my ipad through my tv (and therefore speaker system?).

I've never had an apple tv and never played on one so i'm not aware of their functionality? Going to take a punt at £100 though.

Shame you can't do lovefilm through it though. :(

TIA.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you can. I play the music on my phone then click on AirPlay and it plays through apple tv.

I use the optical cable from atv to my surround sound so I can listen to music with the tv off etc.

There is a way to connect the atv to your pc iTunes too iirc but I haven't used it like that yet

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yes you can. I play the music on my phone then click on AirPlay and it plays through apple tv.

I use the optical cable from atv to my surround sound so I can listen to music with the tv off etc.

There is a way to connect the atv to your pc iTunes too iirc but I haven't used it like that yet

I don't understand half of that. Essentially it's possible, easily? :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes in 2 different ways iirc.

One way is the way I do it. Put music on my phone as if I was going to blast out some toons on da bus then click the airplay button (as long as your on the same wifi network as your apple tv then you get the button) and it plays it through apple tv.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Yes in 2 different ways iirc.

One way is the way I do it. Put music on my phone as if I was going to blast out some toons on da bus then click the airplay button (as long as your on the same wifi network as your apple tv then you get the button) and it plays it through apple tv.

Ideal. Will it stop playing through my device when i click airplay btw?

With Apple TV/ Airplay - yes, its ridiculously simple.Connect Apple TV to your network, Airplay icon then appears whenever you play any (almost) media on your iOS device so you can throw it at the TV.

I have a similar set up to you - in that I use Harman Kardon Soundsticks with my TV and with Apple TV it's essentially a little media box that I play everything on rather than watching it on iPad/iPhone/Mac. Works great.

Ideal. Will it stop playing through my device when i click airplay btw?
Yep. You get a ''This video/whatever is playing on "Luke's Apple TV" message; it effectively turns into a remote in that you can still scrub along the timeline, pause etc.

Last edited:

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Sounds ideal? So if i download content from itunes on my mac can i stream that as well? for example an episode of top gear or something?

Yes - but if you're downloading content from iTunes you might as just well buy/play it within the Apple TV instead of streaming it from another device.

apple_tv_interface1.jpg