ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please dont give me bad news!

Clio 182 inferno
Right folks im abit concerned.

I popped the bonnet earlier on to re fill my screen wash. The car was ticking over and was at a normal temp (half way on the temp monitor) and the engine didnt sound too smooth.

The engine was moving in the bay, not by much but even so it was moving.
It also sounded what i can only describe as dry. I revved the engine and could hear a vibration coming from the right hand side of the engine (looking from behind the steering wheel).

The car has done 42k
Had belts changed at 36k
Full service history
I last serviced about 400 miles ago
Oil and temp levels are fine

Am i being paranoid or could something be wrong. Im not at all mechanically minded people, i could do with abit of advice.
Thanks

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
Check your engine mounts are tight first. The only one you can see easily when you open the bonnet is on the drivers check that first.

It does sound like thje cam dephaser might be worth listening to a few more cars or poping into a garage.

Clio 182 inferno
It does sound like thje cam dephaser might be worth listening to a few more cars or poping into a garage.

I did think about the dephaser, thats what i didnt want!
Am i right in saying this is a common issue?

Clio 182 inferno
Check your engine mounts are tight first. The only one you can see easily when you open the bonnet is on the drivers check that first.

I will also try this eddyg.
Sounds like the vibration/rattle is in that direction.

Clio 182 inferno
Price of a cambelt change+ dephaser (£150ish i think)/ Labour. (And I believe the oil and filter need changing at the same time)

Not too bad then. But it sounds like i may aswel get all the belts changed at the same time

I have recently had a janspeed exhaust fitted, could this have caused the exhaust manifold to hit the subframe and its effecting the mounts?

Arctic Blue FF 182
Can't comment on the exhaust tbh, but the manifold finishes after the subframe, so I wouldn't have thought it could hit.

I'm not sure where you are based but just remembered this from Fred@ BTM at the moment. Price of the dephaser change + the discount he is running at the moment. Obviously, it might not be the dephaser.

"
172/182

cambelt kit
aux belt kit
dephaser
oil + filter

normally £665
sale £598.50
"

James

Clio 182 inferno
Can't comment on the exhaust tbh, but the manifold finishes after the subframe, so I wouldn't have thought it could hit.

I'm not sure where you are based but just remembered this from Fred@ BTM at the moment. Price of the dephaser change + the discount he is running at the moment. Obviously, it might not be the dephaser.

"
172/182

cambelt kit
aux belt kit
dephaser
oil + filter

normally £665
sale £598.50
"

James

Im not far from fred tbh, im just outside birmingham.

If i do get this done i will only use fred. ive heard so many good things about him.
Its still abit if a wallet denter though this side of xmas!

Not too bad then. But it sounds like i may aswel get all the belts changed at the same time

I have recently had a janspeed exhaust fitted, could this have caused the exhaust manifold to hit the subframe and its effecting the mounts?

EDIT: Scratch that, I was slow at replying. Nevertheless:

The exhaust heat shields on the Clio 182 make a very hollow & rattle like noise. If you just had a centre section and rear section fitted there's no reason why the garage would've gone near the manifold heat shield?

The other exhaust related rattles that occur near the front are the cat-manifold nut/bolt/gasket assembly being loose (due to under tightening, say when fitting a decat, or just corroding which is fairly common) which to be fair does IMO sound as if it comes from the front right of the car (as you sit in driver's seat) What exactly was changed with the exhaust? If you have long arms you can poke the cat-manifold assembly springs and see if they move around. If they do, the kit is £27 + VAT from renault.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Wasn't thinking properly about the exhaust, it's worth looking at as a possibility.
If your that close to him, might even be worth taking it over to him to check it over and identify the problem.
I drove 90+ miles each way in March for Fred to do my cambelt, and can't recommend him enough!

320d
Im not far from fred tbh, im just outside birmingham.

If i do get this done i will only use fred. ive heard so many good things about him.
Its still abit if a wallet denter though this side of xmas!

Fred is excellent. Seen his work first hand, second to none.

Clio 182 inferno
Im off to see fred on saturday, booked in today.

When i get the belts + the dephaser done, i will have spent almost £2k in 2 months on the car.
I wouldnt have spent the money on mods if id have known :-(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
LoL mate thats the way we roll... Renaults are worth it though. Mine now needs a new turbo on top of keycards and the gearbox is screaming to be rebuilt to so if you wanna swap bills i'll send you mine and sort Fred out for you ;)

Clio 182 inferno
LoL mate thats the way we roll... Renaults are worth it though. Mine now needs a new turbo on top of keycards and the gearbox is screaming to be rebuilt to so if you wanna swap bills i'll send you mine and sort Fred out for you ;)

Lol.
It could be worse then i suppose!

Tbh i am in love with car at the moment so for the first time in my life im happy to spend money on it.
In the past if ive seen a problem with my cars ive got rid of them and brought another car.

She worth it to be fair,
I spend more on the car than i do my missus! If only she knew!

Clio 182 inferno
EDIT: Scratch that, I was slow at replying. Nevertheless:

The exhaust heat shields on the Clio 182 make a very hollow & rattle like noise. If you just had a centre section and rear section fitted there's no reason why the garage would've gone near the manifold heat shield?

The other exhaust related rattles that occur near the front are the cat-manifold nut/bolt/gasket assembly being loose (due to under tightening, say when fitting a decat, or just corroding which is fairly common) which to be fair does IMO sound as if it comes from the front right of the car (as you sit in driver's seat) What exactly was changed with the exhaust? If you have long arms you can poke the cat-manifold assembly springs and see if they move around. If they do, the kit is £27 + VAT from renault.

All ive had done to the exhaust is the centre and back sections. There was a previous issue with the standard exhaust, i came away from the cat but thats about it.
When i had the new exhaust it wasnt fitted tight enough and needed to be adjusted. Like you said, its unlikley the garage went near the heat shield.