ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Please help me understand washer pump

Clio V6 and Ford Mondeo
Ok so having an issue with my window and head light washers.

It’s a 182 so I have two pumps, the one that was a right sod to get out was the headlight washer pump this made a sound but not water came out. Replaced it at £40 ! It has two pipes connected, one connection is white and one black. It works but only one headlight washed so tested it and only the black nosel squirts the white does nothing is this correct ?

Also the other connection for the window wash pump is dead, is this on a separate fuse ?

Thanks for any help

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Are you sure the lights need to be on?
My understanding on a 182 is one pump is for the rear windscreen and the second is for front windscreen and headlights.

Clio V6 and Ford Mondeo
Without the lights on and only using one pump the passenger side headlight sprays but not the drivers side. The two pipes head off into the wing somewhere. The pump has two outlets a white and black but only the black spays on both pumps, what’s the white for and why does it have two pipes if only one works ?

The plug to the one pump the easy one to see, sits higher up on the washer bottle, when u take the panel off seems to be dead but maybe I need the lights on ?

Clio V6 and Ford Mondeo
This is the water bottle pump that goes into green circle hole connection is dead

Red circle hole sprays front washer passenger side

Attachments

• 9A237124-0F16-4E4E-B58E-07AA63D30505.jpeg
    9A237124-0F16-4E4E-B58E-07AA63D30505.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 90
  Clio V6 and Ford Mondeo
Both pumpers have two outlets but only the black sprays one is brand new

Attachments

• 21DE4A3E-0B8E-4E7C-8CA5-C2F3463ED044.jpeg
    21DE4A3E-0B8E-4E7C-8CA5-C2F3463ED044.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 82
  Clio V6 and Ford Mondeo
Had a thought maybe as I am plugging them both into the same plug does the white one do the rear and only works from when I activate the rear spray ?

Which then begs the questions are they running on different fuses as one plug is dead

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
The action of the pumps is novel.
Both pumps are the same
The two outlets feed via a shuttle valve which operates inside the pump body, the valve switching depends on the direction of the pump motor, forward for one outlet - reverse for the other, the motor is controlled by polarity reversal.
The first pump is used for the windscreen and rear screen, depending on direction the motor is switched.

The second pump is used for the headlight wash action, this action occurs only once each time it is operated, it pulses first in a forward and then immediately in reverse direction, thus feeding both outlets in turn, each pulse lasts about a second or so.
The headlight wash only works when the headlights are switched on

It's quite common for the shuttle valve to fail in these pumps, especially on aftermarket pumps.
However If the pumps are not 'heard' running then this is likely an electrical fault, e.g. fuses or connector.

I hope this helps you figure it out.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Both pumps are the same
The two outlets feed via a shuttle valve which operates inside the pump body, the valve switching depends on the direction of the pump motor, forward for one outlet - reverse for the other, the motor is controlled by polarity reversal.
The first pump is used for the windscreen and rear screen, depending on direction the motor is switched.

The second pump is used for the headlight wash action, this action occurs only once each time it is operated, it pulses first in a forward and then immediately in reverse direction, thus feeding both outlets in turn, each pulse lasts about a second or so.

It's quite common for the shuttle valve to fail in these pumps, especially on aftermarket pumps.
However If the pumps are not 'heard' running then this is likely an electrical fault, e.g. fuses or connector.

You forgot to say it's a PIA job??

Clio V6 and Ford Mondeo
Both pumps are the same

thanks for this is really helps, so it all works now just need to figure out why the one plug is dead.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I need to sort this out for my MOT too. When I squirt my washer jets the stream hits the windows alright but doesnt go to the headlights, it just trickles out from the passenger arch.

It's an MOT fail over here to have HID headlights without washers, even though I cant see what benefit a jet of water is going to do, it will hardly clean anything off the lights without a wiper.

2 x Clio 172
I need to sort this out for my MOT too. When I squirt my washer jets the stream hits the windows alright but doesnt go to the headlights, it just trickles out from the passenger arch.

It's an MOT fail over here to have HID headlights without washers, even though I cant see what benefit a jet of water is going to do, it will hardly clean anything off the lights without a wiper.
I've never failed a Clio Sport II for lack of working headlight washers, if you remove the jets before the test they can only be flagged as an advisory as they "can't be tested" and therefore can't be deemed a fail.

Clio V6 and Ford Mondeo
In the Uk if your car is fitted with Xenon headlights they must have washers and they must work to pass your mot but I guess it depends if they check.

As the guy kindly pointed out the headlight washers only work if the headlights are on. The pipes do run to the passenger arch.

Have u tried with your headlights on ?

2 x Clio 172
It doesn't apply to a Clio phase II

Check the MOT testing manual
4.1.6 Headlamp cleaning devices
You must inspect vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with headlamp washers.
It doesn't matter if they don't work , but that being said it's nice to have them working .

Back to the real issue,
The jets them self get clogged with crap causing them to dribble, most Clio II require a pair of replacement jets, they bolt on from the back of the bumper ,
People have tried putting non return valve in the washer jet line to stop the jets from dribbling.
Also the little slider valve in the headlight washer motor can get stuck on one side , so when the pump actuates forward and then reverse you may find a jet of water only comes out of one washer,

As a temporary fix you could workout which side of the pump is squirted washer fluid out then use a T piece to join both jets together .

The reality is thou you'll need a pair of jets and a replacement pump.