ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

please help, wont go in straight line.

Clio 182 Cup
Ok, When I accellerate hard in my 182cup, the car seems to skitter round a quite a lot, and keeping it in a straight line is a bit of a challenge. I dont think this os just torque steer, right?

Could it be loose/worn track rod ends? Driveshaft problems? crappy tyres (they are Federals on the front, Michellins on rear)?wheels not balanced?
Ive had tracking done twice and it seems spot on, but accellerating hard, the car is very sensitive to road contours too?

Please....If anyone has any ideas.
Cheerws

172 Cup
Mine did thi swhen one o fthe front brake caliper pistons was sticking slightly.

Could also be something as simple as tyre pressure different on both sides.

Golf MK6 GT TDI
Mine used to pull to the right, I had two new tyres fitted and balanced the other day and now it runs straight as an arrow.

So it could be the wheel balancing maybe, I'm no expert though.

could be lots of things but if you start with the free-to-try stuff, it might sort it out before you have to spend any money - try checking pressures, swapping the Michelins onto the front, clean pads/calipers, wheel balance (cheap); pretty much as already suggested really

then you're onto suspension bushes/bearings/joints, steering, and driveshafts, etc

Clio 182 Cup
Yes, as I said, I have had it done TWICE.

Thanks for everyones suggestons, I will see what I can do.
If anyone knows anything else, then I'd like to know. Cheers.

Focus ST
Mine does this

Possibilities for mine are....

Incorrec tyre sizes - 182 cup wheels on a 172 cup
Ball joints
Track rod end - replaced
Tracking and wheel balancing - done
The fact that its a clio
Bushes?

How much are ball joints?

Clio 182 Cup
Yeh, about 35-40mph it kinda wants to pull you left/right, it just doesnt feel that stable really.
So we think its ball joints then...
Thanks guys and girls.

PH1 V6
Its a good idea to remember than when accelerating "hard" they do tend to tourqe steer quite a bit! but it shouldnt feel loose so to speak.

Golf GTD Mk7
^^^mine does this too, its normal, so dont worry about it. Under hard acceleration the car pulls slightly which I put down to torque steer.

Clio 182 Cup
so it sounds all kinda normal then. The 182s torque steer like a b**ch.
Well its MOT next week and Ive asked the garage to see if there is anything untowards.

And, yes, it does sem to tramline at the faintest dip or bump in the road. Come to think of it... even white lines and crisp packets too. ha.