ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Polishing Cloudy Headlights

Renault 5 GT Turbo
We all know this is something that a lot of our cars will suffer from, I do lots of Clios with this problem, and mine were no exception.
I last sanded and polished them a few years ago and didn't pay them too much attention after that.

There are a bunch off methods as to how to repair and finish them. This is how I've been doing it lately and it's working really well so my daily got the treatment too.

To start the lights weren't so bad. I ran the machine over them quickly when I detailed my car a couple of weeks before.
Still dull and a bit hazy.

20160714_192814_zpsxqal0zxy.jpg

Starting at 1000 and working to 2500, they were wet sanded to remove the top layer with all of the yellowing, chips, foggy haze.

20160714_194018_zpsvodgsjjl.jpg

Using spot pads and a rotary polisher, the lenses were worked until the sanding marks had been removed.

20160714_194309_zps742iyxg3.jpg

Now, if they are left to the elements - they will drop back and cloud up again. Usually after a couple of months.
I apply paint protection film to the lens after a panel wipe.
This will give the lens protection against anything the road throws at it - grit, rain, stones, etc.

20160714_201236_zpsnlpuaovp.jpg

Trimmed up and finished :smile:

20160714_201625_zpshbyz20dh.jpg

Hopefully that's useful :smile:

Clio 182 - RB
Maybe if you did this on the xenon lights the film could possibly melt?

Good job otherwise! [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renault 5 GT Turbo
Cheers :)
I apply this to a lot of cars with Xenon headlights and haven't had a problem yet. The adhesive is thermoset so there's no issues.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe if you did this on the xenon lights the film could possibly melt?

Good job otherwise! [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't this the opposite? Xenon's don't generate a lot of heat - hence why they 'officially' need washer jets.

It's the standard bulbs you'd have to worry about.