ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poor gear selection - PMS shifter

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
That sounds like clutch drag then as it’s not allowing the shaft to slow down. That in turn hammers the synchros as they have more work to do in slowing the gears down.

Did you put any grease on the input shaft splines at all? For possibly the first time ever, you’re better off going in dry with this. Not even a bit of spit on it.
@Romanian Tyre Fitter, did we?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just checked my post on my thread and we did put a tiny bit of grease onto the shaft. Reckon this is the issue?
Reallllyyyyy dont want to pull the box out again 😭😭

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I never put grease on splines so I can't think why we would have mate. If anything I think I told you to clean off the splines in the box and the guide tube and only put a tiny dab on the ball where the fork goes 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I never put grease on splines so I can't think why we would have mate. If anything I think I told you to clean off the splines in the box and the guide tube and only put a tiny dab on the ball where the fork goes 😂
It was a while back now so I've no idea! We definitely put grease somewhere but didnt slather it because of it catching all the clutch dust.
Screenshot_20210702-105929_Chrome.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus christ why did you let me put you in charge? 😂 😂

Box comes out nice and easy on these though at least, gimme a shout when you want to take the fucker off. You can sling that w**k release bearing in the bin at the same time 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Jesus christ why did you let me put you in charge? 😂 😂

Box comes out nice and easy on these though at least, gimme a shout when you want to take the fucker off. You can sling that w**k release bearing in the bin at the same time 😂
😂 I definitely wont have put it on without your full support.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
In the service manual it states that you use a bit of grease on the spline.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
In the service manual it states that you use a bit of grease on the spline.
If the service manual told you to line the clutch up with your c**k, or your finger, would you do it?

My experience tells me that it creates problems as it collects clutch dust and stops things moving freely. All greases have different properties as well - not a one size fits all scenario.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
If the service manual told you to line the clutch up with your c**k, or your finger, would you do it?

My experience tells me that it creates problems as it collects clutch dust and stops things moving freely. All greases have different properties as well - not a one size fits all scenario.
Ok I know what you do with the lube now 😂

406 V6, Race Buggy

This, heavy moly's are fine, I'm talking 20-40% moly stuff, because there's barely any oil to hold dirt and the moly does the work anyway. Same for just rubbing some graphite or moly powder on.

Normal greases? Nah.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Been at it all evening and not really got anywhere? Started off trying to look into the box and see if I could watch the input shaft but doing it alone I had no chance. Hardly any room in there even with an endoscope cam.

Photo_2.jpg

Nothing really looks untoward and it's not caked in clutch dust which is a bonus?

Got onto trying to play with the linkage and had a lot of hassle as the bolt stripped and I didnt realise so tight wasnt as tight as it should have been and i ended up losing adjustment everytime. Replaced the bolt, pulled out the rod more and retightened in a very similar position to before. Feels a little better but impossible to tell.

I'll film the gear change tomorrow, but if someone with a PMS could also film theres that would be useful.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
With my pms setup I ended up moving the engine forward and to the drivers side and now its spot on after adjusting the linkage again.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
With my pms setup I ended up moving the engine forward and to the drivers side and now its spot on after adjusting the linkage again.
You just disconnect the linkage and the top engine mount? No adjustability really on the dogbone/gearbox side

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
You just disconnect the linkage and the top engine mount? No adjustability really on the dogbone/gearbox side
Yes disconnect the linkage, engine and passenger side mounts. with a trolley jack under the sump, then lever the engine into a different position. Obviously dependent on where it’s in SITU. I had to move mine more towards drivers side first. Then rotated engine on drivers side towards driver side headlight and passenger side backwards towards coolant reservoir. Thereby shifting the linkage point at the gearbox closer towards the shifter. Once this was done realigning the entire shifter assembly. There is a lot of micro adjustments from here.

BG 182FF
Clean the clutch shaft splines and refit the assembly without any lubricant.
Coat with MOLYKOTE BR2 grease:
- the tube guide,
- the fork pads.
Section 20-2 the Bible

BG 182FF
Also looked this up as didnt know what to do

. How to Check for Clutch Drag​

This is a simple test. Still, make sure you have enough space in front and back of the vehicle in case the car creeps forward or backward during your test. Specially, check that there's no one standing in front or back of the car.

1. Set the transmission to neutral.
  2. Start the engine.
  3. Fully depress the clutch pedal.
  4. Shift the transmission into first gear and keep the clutch pedal fully depressed.
  5. Shift the transmission into neutral.
  6. Wait 5 seconds to allow the transmission to come to a complete stop.
  7. Without forcing the shift lever, shift into reverse.
If you can hear the gear clash, the clutch is dragging.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Clean the clutch shaft splines and refit the assembly without any lubricant.
Coat with MOLYKOTE BR2 grease:
- the tube guide,
- the fork pads.
Section 20-2 the Bible
If anything went into the splines it was a tiny bit of moly. And I mean tiny, I genuinely cant remember now though!

I'll try the test, never have any issue going into reverse usually.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Driven to work today and it feels much better. It's still not perfect but I'm going to look at adjusting the box and engine position at the weekend to see if those improves it further.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just as an update, this feels great now. Must have been ever so slightly out of alignment that tweaking it solved. Its daft how fine the adjustment is!

My new problem is the sleeve not sliding down after being in reverse 😂 gonna pop it off and clean it up properly as presume its dried grease or corrosion of the sleeve.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Just as an update, this feels great now. Must have been ever so slightly out of alignment that tweaking it solved. Its daft how fine the adjustment is!

My new problem is the sleeve not sliding down after being in reverse 😂 gonna pop it off and clean it up properly as presume its dried grease or corrosion of the sleeve.
Yep. On your car it'll definitely be rusted to f**k. 🧀😂