ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible Cat problem or something else....

mk2 clio campus sport
Need help if anyone is clued in on this sort of thing....

Driving back from work today, got about half a mile away when car really started to struggle and judder when driving.

My boyfriend had a look under the bonnet to see if it was some sort of air probelm, but that all seems fine.

He noticed that the Cat was glowing red with heat and not sure if this was normal.

Also a light in the dash was flshing and after referring to my handbook it says it is the exhaust gas monitor warning light?

Think this sounds like a Cat problem or any suggestions

Thanks Emma

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I aint 100% sure but i have heard people saying this could be a lambar sensor. search lambar sensor on here there are loads of threads. Check i have spelt lambar correctly!!!!;)

mk2 clio campus sport
Yeh i had thought about lambar sensor, this would come up if i got it put on diagnostic right?

ibiza cupra
yeah, get it on a diagnostic and that should tell you. i would check the cat too is if it has colapsed inside then it may be restricking the gas flow and causing the heat to build up. just a thought though.

mk2 clio campus sport
how would u go about checking the cat, just get under and have a look or what else?
thanks for help

Pug 205 gti
if its a lamda sensor i think it sould show up on diagnostics, if the cat was glowin red i'd get it checked out, could be blocked

beaten to it

mk2 clio campus sport
ok, so alot of people thinkin cat, and the glowing red is definately a problem.
Does anyone know the correct spelling/word of this "lambar" sensor:eek:
thanks

mk2 clio campus sport
ok ill have a search around lambda sensor and see if any of these poblems have been similar before, also "coil pack"
Not sure what this is and is ther any way to check or examine this?
Thanks guys

mk2 clio campus sport
So thats not too bad if it is that lamba sensor! ill get a diagnositcs run to see if this comes up. if so he will be fitting that for me.lol.

still could be a gone or damaged cat possibly.

or the one other thing mentioned is the coil pack, what is this and so people thinks this might be the problem???

mk2 clio campus sport
Thanks for all your help guys, at least now i can get my bf to play around and see if we get anywhere? lol

Astra van,Mk1 nova
I cant see the lambda causing the cat to glow red. My bet is with beef-Mc. Coil pack is failing causing unburnt fuel going into the exhaust which then ignites when the coil pack decides to work. This would explain the "juddering". The lambda is just picking up on this and telling you that the fumes going through your exhaust are not normal.

I could be very very wrong but its an option to look at :)