ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

possible ground for my amp

2000 Clio 1.4 Sport
hey guys, I'm new to forums but been told that they're the best for troubleshooting. I just got a sound system for my 2000 Clio sport, I have fitted it earlier in the week but when I drove it yesterday the fuse on the side of the amp kept blowing. I've had the ground down by the seat bolt and the visible bolt at the back of the boot but still have the same problem.
Anyone know where else I could ground the amp??

Stripped yozza'd cup
Where you've got it is fine. Have you taken the paint off so it's a metal to metal contact? You would normally get fuses blowing because of an earth though.

Golf GTD Mk7
hey guys, I'm new to forums but been told that they're the best for troubleshooting. I just got a sound system for my 2000 Clio sport, I have fitted it earlier in the week but when I drove it yesterday the fuse on the side of the amp kept blowing. I've had the ground down by the seat bolt and the visible bolt at the back of the boot but still have the same problem.
Anyone know where else I could ground the amp??

Have you bared the metal? Ie. Sanded paint off?

soon to be 182 ;)
no i havent taken the paint off, think that could be the problem??

youve got the same car as me, look under your back seat and you should have some little tag bits with a hole through, sand the paint off and put a bolt through :) (thats what i did)

2000 Clio 1.4 Sport
yeh i'll try that, its really weird though cause the sound system runs fine but if i turn any of my lights on the fuse goes.

2000 Clio 1.4 Sport
yeh i pretty it is, but im going to check on sunday when im free. do you think any of the other fuses in the car have blown causing it the amp's fuse to blow?

soon to be 182 ;)
yeh i pretty it is, but im going to check on sunday when im free. do you think any of the other fuses in the car have blown causing it the amp's fuse to blow?

it shouldnt do unless you are getting some sort of power surge when you are turning your lights on, i cant see why you would if its is all correctly wired.

2000 Clio 1.4 Sport
hey just in from working on the sound system and still no luck what so ever. I sanded the paint off both the bolt at the back of the boot and down by the seat belt but his time the fuse blows when I hook the battery back up with out having the sound system turned on or my keys in the ignition! could it have something to do with wire kit I'm using or the amp? I'm using a vibe 2000w wiring kit and a JA490 1200w amp '

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My suggestion is that you're drawing too much current and the fuse goes pop, as it is supposed to ! What amp rating is the one that's blowing ?

Also what on EARTH do you need 1200W of power for ? Is that RMS or what !?

Also, sanding down paint !? FLOL. How are you going to stop that from corroding ?

2000 Clio 1.4 Sport
30A, i was given it for xmas. yeh i sanded down the paint to have better conduction and it wont corrode because its inside the car

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It will...

Suggest you do your homework for instance Ohms law (V=IR) and power (P=VI) and work out what's going on.

Failing that, take the power away from one part at a time, HU, amp, subs etc .. and see what's blowing it.

2000 Clio 1.4 Sport
why would juice issue an amp with 30A fuse if it isn't strong enough? and it'll be hard finding out the exact numbers for the formulas, the headunit and sub are working fine.

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
My suggestion is that you're drawing too much current and the fuse goes pop, as it is supposed to ! What amp rating is the one that's blowing ?

Also what on EARTH do you need 1200W of power for ? Is that RMS or what !?

Also, sanding down paint !? FLOL. How are you going to stop that from corroding ?

1200w rms f**k that there would be no windows left :p probably 300w rms, also you need an earthed cable to be to bare metal i dont see it corroding anytime soon as its inside the car.

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
why would juice issue an amp with 30A fuse if it isn't strong enough? and it'll be hard finding out the exact numbers for the formulas, the headunit and sub are working fine.

it may do the job at a low level but if you crank it and it blows thats no concern of theirs, not being funny but juice isnt exactly alpine etc standard. my system kept blowing 30a fuses so i put a bigger fuse in and it began to melt the power cable. Any serious system needs a fairly serious power cable and im talking £20-30 on a power cable and fuse alone.

It will...

Suggest you do your homework for instance Ohms law (V=IR) and power (P=VI) and work out what's going on.

Failing that, take the power away from one part at a time, HU, amp, subs etc .. and see what's blowing it.

X2.

And it will corrode. Just some pics from a Renault Clio III with less that a Year, bare metal parts (steering column zone):

dsc07375h.jpg

Jap Box
Ive just grounded mine under the isofix bar, but im having issues now :(

With the ground its fine but the bolt to secure the isofix bar down will only screw in 50% of the way because its corroded so it jams and sticks, the ratchet will then no longer turn it no matter how much force is put into it all.

Problem ive got it, the isofix bar raises slightly, moves the ground wire as its not 100% secured down properly due to the bolt not being good, which moves the ground slightly so it loses connection and then sparks sometimes.

Where would be a better place to ground it, or even should I remove the isofix bar completely and then secure the ground down using the original bolt and a load of washers around there to help push down the pressure. Any ideas would be a great help :)

Astra Twintop
Ive just grounded mine under the isofix bar, but im having issues now :(

With the ground its fine but the bolt to secure the isofix bar down will only screw in 50% of the way because its corroded so it jams and sticks, the ratchet will then no longer turn it no matter how much force is put into it all.

Problem ive got it, the isofix bar raises slightly, moves the ground wire as its not 100% secured down properly due to the bolt not being good, which moves the ground slightly so it loses connection and then sparks sometimes.

Where would be a better place to ground it, or even should I remove the isofix bar completely and then secure the ground down using the original bolt and a load of washers around there to help push down the pressure. Any ideas would be a great help :)

I had mine grounded via the Isofix Bar mounts.

Whipped out the bar in its enirety, and left the bolts in there.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL at no corrosion. As above, ever take a single bit of trim off a car !?

Kerry .. sounds like the best idea to me, assuming your stuff is in the boot... Find a bolt, take it off, put a O type connecter on the end of the earth wire, pop the bolt back in, and Mr Monkhouse is your mothers' brother. No need for a load of washers though. Doesn't need to be the ISOfix one. They're MASSIVE haha !

Jap Box
I had mine grounded via the Isofix Bar mounts.

Whipped out the bar in its enirety, and left the bolts in there.

FLOL at no corrosion. As above, ever take a single bit of trim off a car !?

Kerry .. sounds like the best idea to me, assuming your stuff is in the boot... Find a bolt, take it off, put a O type connecter on the end of the earth wire, pop the bolt back in, and Mr Monkhouse is your mothers' brother. No need for a load of washers though. Doesn't need to be the ISOfix one. They're MASSIVE haha !

Problem is the isofix bolt though, going to screw it back in, it jams and then wont go more than 50% down, meaning its poking up loads so I cant wedge the earth "O" connector under there.

What other bolts are there in the boot that I can secure it to? Or could I simply remove the isofix bolt and then get the earth "O" ring welded down into the spot where it would normally secure to?

Unless I do what my mate did, wrap the earth cable around the bolt, then electrical tape around it all to stop sparking and movement.

Astra Twintop
I butchered the O ring bolt off of it, and just stuffed a load of bare wire and screwed the bolt in.

Jap Box
Sounds like the Iso-fix bolt is cross threading...

It is doing, the one side sheered the bolt in half though when removing it.

Tried it at loads o different angles and it always does it at the same point, ill give the bolt another sand down again and WD40 and see if that will fix it, otherwise ill just take the isofix bar out completely.