ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible head gasket

Hi All looking for abit of advice.

Got a clio 1.2 16v D4F engine and am worried about the head gasket

A few weeks ago we had -9 temperatures in our area on my way to about 10 mins of driving the temp gauge rose to halfway as normal then 5 mins later shot up to 2 bars below the top along with the coolant light flashing on dash flashing stop. So I can only assume the water bottle froze so no water was getting round. So I whipped the heaters on full and it dropped back down to the middle and thought nothing of it.

Ever since the ive noticed a small about of oil in the header tank and sometimes its a little smoky when warm, no issuses with the temp gauge now and the engine runs fine.

So could I have done any damage by it overheating? Its not losing water at all.

Cars on 101000 miles

Cheers
Scott

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it's not losing water/oil then don't worry.

Just get your antifreeze/coolant lushed and changed and an oil/filter changed for peace of mind. Will cost you no more than £100 and much better to be safe than sorry.

172 clio
It nearly sounds like a gasket dude its lettin the oil n water mix but as them guys said give her a good service n see how that goes

Just to update on this gave the car a service coolant oil ect, thought all was well until Monday when it overheated again and its took the head gasket out.

Many thanks for your help guys

Scott

Just to update on this gave the car a service coolant oil ect, thought all was well until Monday when it overheated again and its took the head gasket out.

Many thanks for your help guys

Scott

Its over heated and taken the head gasket with it ? So it sounds like something else is at fault ? I'd check the thermostat make sure it's not stuck , also check the rad for blocks etc ! If your werent loosing any coolant seams odd :S