ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible steering rack?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Hey guys

Could really do with some help on this, had alook on here but cant find an answer.

Car seems to be all over the place when at +30mph, very twitchy and pulls alot
Had ball joints and track rod ends done didnt sort it, checked the shocks all fine. Ive read that there is some bushes on the steering rack itself but havent got a clue what im looking for, can anyone help?

Thanks

'02 Clio Sport 172
I got a similar thing goin on bud. I'm gonna have a crack at replacing the track rods themselves (there is a balljoint on there connecting them directly to the steering rack). Could be the cause of your issues I spose, although I'm waiting on other users inputs before I go messing around with my steering rack lol.

Tin Can with wheels
having the same issues on my 182, done ball joints and tie rod ends.. all shocks checked, tracking and camber done. Think I have found the problem to be the left inner track rod.. as seems to have a little play in it and under acceleration now pulls to the left. will be getting them changed over next month. will let you know how I get on

182 cup RB
I am having the same problem, just had my track rod ends but hasn't really sorted anything. How much are trackrods?

'02 Clio Sport 172
Rods are cheap if you go repro, (£10 ish iirc) OE ones are about £25. Be sure to check the steering rack housing for the make of rack before you buy them though, I think there are around 4 different types.

182 cup RB
Looking at getting a whole new Power Steering rack fitted getting sick of my cars allover the place steering. For only a few £££ pounds. hopefully this will sort my cup out, has anyone had this done? also any ideas what rack will be on a 2005 182 CUP

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Thanks for the info guys, Changed track rod ends and ball joints so think that does only leave inner rods, fingers crossed anyway!

Are they hard to replace? dont have access to a car lift only got a trolley jack lol.

Rang renault today for some info and an 'expert' said that they have never changed a steering rack on any clio cause they just dont fail! Find that very hard to believe.

Tin Can with wheels
Adz172 - if the new ball joints and track rod ends don't solve the problem. it will be the inner rods as they are know to wear, they cost a bomb and I hear they are a pain in the backside to replace.

as for the Renault 'expert' most likely trying to get as much £££ out of you.

dubdub - there will be a sticker on the rack saying SMI or TRW

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Cheers bud, dont think they are that much to replace tha, can get them off ebay for close to £15 each but i have heard they are a right pain to replace.

Hope you can do it under the car without taking anything else off, doubt it very much!

Well he was going to charge me £25 plus vat for half an hour just to look over it, no thanks i`ll just get it done for free off a mate lol.

Tin Can with wheels
no problems at all.

I had the car up on jacks and had a look at doing it myself but looks to be a nightmare and I just cant be bothered to spend the time doing it.

have you the link to the rod's on Ebay at all? Pm me if you wish

that's what mates are for,saving money! lol

172DD Cup
any of you guys sort this? my steerings a bit all over the place but ball joints, track rod ends and track rods are all fairly new.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Just had mine into renault about this problem

Had tracking done and sorted it 100% i had already changed ball joints and track rod ends so might of been all 3

clio sport 172 2001
Im haveing the same problems, ive had three work shops look at and cant find anything wrong? I havent taken it to renault yet, this is my last resort!

172DD Cup
got a manual rack delivered today, i'll let you know if removing the pump and fluid sensor cured it. if it's still got the problem after that, i'll know it's not the rack or pas related.

172DD Cup
well, the problem was still there with the manual rack fitted. but i think that could have been down to the tracking being out. (i put the pas back in, didn't like the manual rack.)
the diagnosis (from jms) is that the steering rack bushes need replacing. with the car on the ground and someone turning the wheel side to side you can see the rack moving within the clamp/bush, so new bushes will be ordered tomorrow.

Clio 172
well, the problem was still there with the manual rack fitted. but i think that could have been down to the tracking being out. (i put the pas back in, didn't like the manual rack.)
the diagnosis (from jms) is that the steering rack bushes need replacing. with the car on the ground and someone turning the wheel side to side you can see the rack moving within the clamp/bush, so new bushes will be ordered tomorrow.

Sorry to open an old thread but did the bushes solve this problem ?. Cheers.