ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Post your head unit pics!

172 Cup
I'm looking for a new head unit that looks good in the Cup. I've fitted my Sony MP70 and it don't look too good with the dark grey dash. Just wondered what everybody else has?

Any recommendations for a good head unit for the Cup?

Polo + Micra
attachment.jpg

Lee

BMW M2C
Got an Alpine 9853R in the Trophy as it's dark in colour and looks subtle against the dash.

alpine1.jpg

172 Cup
Some nice ones there guys. :) Who's considered to be the 'big boys' in the head unit market anyway? I've always had Sony really, MP3 player and all that. Never skips while driving. Quite pleased with it. Just looks odd in the car.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
sony are pretty balls when it comes to car audio to be honest (ive never used any of there top of the range units), most people just buy them because they have a sony hi-fi at home that they think is good ;) (when it isnt!)

i always stick to pioneer when recomending head units, but i hear alpine are up there too, never used an alpine unit though

headunit6ws.jpg

myheadunit29sv.jpg

D

dick

iv got a pioneer, 77mp its called
in brushed aluminium, no flashy lights, matches rest of aluminium quite nicely

172 Cup
  172cup
god there's some nosey people in here lol

i see you were on the welsh/english border ... why.... what were you doing.... when was this...

lol.

One with a few more
pioneer p77 - full stop. No other headunit apart from the p90 or p9 adds so much class. In addition to that the Sound Quality it offers is unrivalled by any other h/u in tat price range until you get to about 450+

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Martin_89 said:
sony are pretty balls when it comes to car audio to be honest (ive never used any of there top of the range units), most people just buy them because they have a sony hi-fi at home that they think is good ;) (when it isnt!)

i always stick to pioneer when recomending head units, but i hear alpine are up there too, never used an alpine unit though

headunit6ws.jpg

myheadunit29sv.jpg

Well Ive always had Sony stereos in my cars, and to me they're very good, Alpine are all the same with no character and it looks like everybody has one on here, dont people have there own ideas. By the way I have a Technics hifi system in my house!!!

Monaro VXR
The reason they all have alpines is cause the majority of them bought the unit for the way it sounds not how pretty it looks.

172 Cup
Yea, Mike, that's the one I have. Looks odd on the Cup dash. It's sorta tilted down too.. when you're sitting in the drivers seat it seems like it's not straight.

One with a few more
pecan said:
clairesclio: Can you post a picture? That looks like a nice unit.
Give me until tomorrow. Can take one then. Its not a big silver/flasginh lights beast like some others. Its sophisticated and well made. you can see that with the little touches like thin rubber around the dials and soft white lighting. The brushed aluminium finish makes it seem very expensive too. same finish as a p90 - which FYI retails at ~£1000

One with a few more
wozzaa said:
The reason they all have alpines is cause the majority of them bought the unit for the way it sounds not how pretty it looks.
Hmm, see I can understand that with +£400 units. However I compete, as do a lot of my friends, and I also know people in the industry. General concensus tends to lean toward Pioneer for SQ. Esp with the p77. You honestly cant match that kind of quality easily. Its all to do with the internal workings of the unit which makes it stand out

172cup
I don't know much about car audio... but i know big companies use various manufacturers under the same trading name.

I agree with Pioneer sound systems being ace for sound quality... same factory as Denon IIRC (but thats IMO for home audio) Sorry to digress slightly

172 Cup
clairesclio: Thanks, looking forward to seeing it in situ. It does looks a fantastic unit, can imagine it looking awesome on the Cup dash. The small display does put me off slightly as my Sony one has quite a large screen.

I've not heard any Pioneer stuff before. I too don't know much about car audio. But the reviews speak for themselves really.

One with a few more
Yeh, it is a lovely unit with durrbrown components iirc. Dont let it put you off. Imo it improves it even more. But then I was never one for lots of info on screen and dancing pics and things!

Polo + Micra
clairesclio said:
Yeh, it is a lovely unit with durrbrown components iirc. Dont let it put you off. Imo it improves it even more. But then I was never one for lots of info on screen and dancing pics and things!

remember burr brown was taken over by TI and now just use the name (and not the quality)

One with a few more
Dink said:
remember burr brown was taken over by TI and now just use the name (and not the quality)

How long ago was that now though?
P77 is aging a bit now. There is some discussion about component quality. In my experience tere hasnt been a dramatic downfall or anything

DSC00351.JPG

looks nice... 9855... but that was a bodge job after in installed it but not properly and left it still hanging out.. my cars with some installers now so i'll post pics when i get it back.

reason i bought this over the pioneer 8600 was because the lights matched the dash, and i want an active x/o built in...

oh and the SQ is better than claires :p :p

Polo + Micra
clairesclio said:
How long ago was that now though?
P77 is aging a bit now. There is some discussion about component quality. In my experience tere hasnt been a dramatic downfall or anything

according to their website it was in 2000

Monaro VXR
the SQ better than the P77 is gonna get some arguments...but i agree with you mainly cause i have the same headunit and i listened to a load of them on the same amp setup and speakers as mine first before buying my 9855 to me it sounded better than the other units.

But then again its all personal choice some people like really heavy bass some people like lots of treble or mid range etc.

172 Cup
Anyone have the P80? I've been looking at that, a lot of people recommend it on other forums. Looks nice too. A lot say it's better than the P77 for navigation through folders and sound quality etc.