ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential scam?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Just advertised my car for sale on autotrader, and received an email literally minutes after the car was put up...

"Message:
Hello m8 ,
Im Joe Clarke by name , I came accross your contact details
through web directory concerning the Item you have for sale and im highly
interested in purchasing it.I will like to know all the details about the
Item before proceeding with the payment.....

1. How long have you owned it?

2. Why are you selling it?

3. Best offer?

4. Where you are located? (For viewing and inspection)

So, your swift response to these required information would be highly
entertained before proceeding to the next stage. The method of payment
is cheque. Kindly email back, if it's still forsale. Hope to hear from
you asap.
Cheers.
Joe"

Now that's just weird! Do I even bother replying to him, thus giving him my email address?

Sounds to me like they will pay by dodgy cheque. Cheques clear your account in 5 working days for most banks, but can bounce for anything upto a fortnight iirc.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah the whole email is very strange, not actually referring to the car at all. I'm quite concious of even replying and therefore giving them my email address. I know there's limits to what they can just with that, but at the very least it would open up a whole lot of spam and more scams...

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
It's a scam, it's always a scam. Ignore all emails, anyone that really wants it will phone. Anyone that can't be bothered to phone isn't worth dealing with.

Dan