ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CS Opinion - Private Sale (Possible scam?)

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I share this with you all as it all sounds extremely fishy to me...

Looking on auto trader this afternoon I stumbled across a 1987 Volkswagen Beetle for sale - 62 of 300, lasts ones produced for UK production (apparently). Knowing that my work colleague loves anything VW, especially the classic type I gave her the details.

As the car is advertised local to us and it was at an extremely good price she went over after work to see it in the flesh. Before she left, she contacted the seller via email using the contact details provided on the advertisement. While she was travelling to view the car she received the following response...

Good afternoon,
I still have the Vw Beetle for sale.The car is in excellent condition, garage kept and accident free. The mileage is genuine and I never had any problems with the engine.The car looks and works just perfect. We recently moved in the Northern part of Scotland a week ago because we bought a house here in a beautiful called Glasgow.We are a nice couple (I am 51 and my beloved husband is 54 years old) and don't use the car so often. We used to spend our time on the road but now we travel by plane so a car isn`t useful anymore. If you are really interested we are ready to make a trip to England and meet you personally. You can take the car for a test-drive and any kind of inspection.Please let us know where are you based.I am sure that we can find a nice city in England to arrange a meeting, a suitable place for both of us. We have the faith that this can be a good deal!
Angie Gallen

Sounds dodgy right?

The car was advertised on Autotrader at £900 and was being sold (apparently) by a garage on behalf of "Angie" the person in the email above.

This is what my friend found when she arrived at the garage...

1618603_10153779605065243_1501851245_n.jpg

Yes, a lot more than £900!

If this is a scam, I'm struggling to see how it would work? Further to this, the Autotrader add has now been removed despite the fact the car is still for sale..

Chi

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Z4, VW172, R26
Message seems a bit dodge but if they are willing to meet and let you test drive Im struggling too..

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  RB 200 Cup
Definite scam... Wouldn't be surprised if they asked for a hefty deposit or a few £100 to cover the cost of travel to meet you.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She spoke to the garage who are apparently selling on behalf of this Angie and the garage said they have had over 10 phone calls yesterday regarding the beetle. The garage confirmed they are not selling on behalf of anyone and have asked if we would report the add to autotrader ...

And it's not lovely.

Lol yes that too.

2 insignificant details that are completely incorrect. = scam.

We noticed this too!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH at 4K that still looks an ok buy anyway?

But yes the autotrader response may as well start "greetings from sunny nigeria..."