ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Potential turbo failure

Clio 172 ph2
Well after work took the Clio out for a blast all going well untill sudden lost of power and cloud of smoke out the back [emoji85][emoji31]. Saying that wasn’t taking it gently lol 5th gear and on full boost.

So managed to drive her off the motorway round the roundabout and pulled into a bus stop. So turned the engine off let it cool down a bit untill my old man came to the rescue.

Once he arrived had a good look underneath the car and on top which there was no oil leaking from anywhere. So started her up again which she ticked over fine no knocks bangs on idle just sounds normal.

So gave her a slight Rev just to around 2k and there it was smoke out the back end blueish. Gave Carl on here a call (Bloke) who gave me some some advice on what could be so time to repair the beast [emoji108][emoji2].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinese turbos for you ?Give it the Carl, get a smaller turbo on, chuck it to Chris @ EFI and it will be a much better car!

(My mate was the lad you got it from - he'd owned it a few weeks before selling it on)

Clio 172 ph2
Chinese turbos for you [emoji28]Give it the Carl, get a smaller turbo on, chuck it to Chris @ EFI and it will be a much better car!

(My mate was the lad you got it from - he'd owned it a few weeks before selling it on)

Lol mate being honest here and not exaggerating it’s been the best car I have ever owned seriously the power the performance is out of this world and not just saying this but I have made shame of many higher powered cars lol.

But that aside I quite like the size of the turbo on it I like the fact the boost comes in at4k and there is a few reasons for this one is that it gets the power down without much if any wheel spin as the cars momentum has already built up before the boost comes on.

Yes the boost is hard but it’s smooth and hard if that makes sense lol.

In saying that I haven’t tried a low boost turbo and the only reason I would see a downside to that is I would constantly be in boost low down in the Rev range where as with the bigger turbo I can drive around town etc without being in boost.

But defo going to fix it and have it back on the road. Think Carl is the man for the job tbh as he knows the car inside out [emoji106]

Lol mate being honest here and not exaggerating it’s been the best car I have ever owned seriously the power the performance is out of this world and not just saying this but I have made shame of many higher powered cars lol.

But that aside I quite like the size of the turbo on it I like the fact the boost comes in at4k and there is a few reasons for this one is that it gets the power down without much if any wheel spin as the cars momentum has already built up before the boost comes on.

Yes the boost is hard but it’s smooth and hard if that makes sense lol.

In saying that I haven’t tried a low boost turbo and the only reason I would see a downside to that is I would constantly be in boost low down in the Rev range where as with the bigger turbo I can drive around town etc without being in boost.

But defo going to fix it and have it back on the road. Think Carl is the man for the job tbh as he knows the car inside out [emoji106]

It was a great car, I drove it and apart from needing a suspension setup it was interesting. Not the greatest track car setup on that turbo, at least for what we have around here but once it does hit boost it didn't hang around. He only owned it for about a month before deciding he hated mk2 clios haha, spoilt by a 135i daily.

It's a nice car, got all the right bits on for sure, shame you've had a turbo issue but after being told it had a GT2871r with "Hybrid core from turbo solutions" it was disappointing to find it was a Chinese garrett replica when it came to mapping, despite the 260bhp it made. Carl had to die grind the wastegate out because the casting was poor on it not allowing proper waste gate boost control. With a better quality turbo it would and should be a very capable car.

You're in fantastic hands with @bloke I wouldn't take a Renault sport anywhere else, he's done mountains of work for me from average discs and pads to a head gasket and belts (while suffering a broken back ?). His knowledge and skill is unrivalled IMO and he's no stranger to a boosted 1*2

Clio 172 ph2
It was a great car, I drove it and apart from needing a suspension setup it was interesting. Not the greatest track car setup on that turbo, at least for what we have around here but once it does hit boost it didn't hang around. He only owned it for about a month before deciding he hated mk2 clios haha, spoilt by a 135i daily.

It's a nice car, got all the right bits on for sure, shame you've had a turbo issue but after being told it had a GT2871r with "Hybrid core from turbo solutions" it was disappointing to find it was a Chinese garrett replica when it came to mapping, despite the 260bhp it made. Carl had to die grind the wastegate out because the casting was poor on it not allowing proper waste gate boost control. With a better quality turbo it would and should be a very capable car.

You're in fantastic hands with @bloke I wouldn't take a Renault sport anywhere else, he's done mountains of work for me from average discs and pads to a head gasket and belts (while suffering a broken back [emoji28]). His knowledge and skill is unrivalled IMO and he's no stranger to a boosted 1*2

Very true the car sure could do with a decent geometry set up aswell, but that’s least of my worries lol.

The main factor is getting the car back to being right but still very capable like it was which in the hands of Carl @bloke should be easily done. I haven’t heard horror story’s on these turbos but again I reckon it’s down to a number of things and not just because it’s a Chinese turbo. But in the same respect I always agree with you get what you pay for.

And for being on track I reckon that varies from track to track I must say I do love the kick on the bigger turbo but each to there own and I haven’t driven one with a smaller turbo.

With the smaller turbo can they still make 250/260bhp?

But all in all a will get this beast back up and running soon lol

Clio 172 ph2
Thought I’d share some pics lol
0C50E3F9-B564-4F22-A999-E37F83E0108A-227-000000865399E32A.jpeg
03f18df640a12921594d9da62627fc86.jpg
dcce1758285ba7644045db46cf4b8aba.jpg
46d29223173a15143d7481fb03d134e0.jpg
1262b7c26dc2d5f65e9b2330de5aead6.jpg
abcc24ae53afe78af86b737e7118a843.jpg

dan's cast offs.
this is with a garrett 2560, pulls so well and now has a dci box on it, gearing works well with it.
20180715_151151.jpg
20180715_151151.jpg

dan's cast offs.
same casing and set up so as reliable. ratios are great though, 4,000rpm in 5th and you're doing 105mph!!! 1st is just about the same as standard, 2nd is slightly taller but you really notice the difference in 3rd and 4th!!!

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
Gary sounds like traditional turbo failure of the turbo bearing with the symptoms that you have described....those Chinese turbos just use the basic 270 degree bearing which can easily give up under load.SJ.

182 Turbo
I pulled mine off recently to do the head gasket after 2 and a half years being turbo'd there was no shaft play and looked perfect, they're only pushing 6 or 7 psi on low boost, id imagine if you were pushing the upper limits of its boost capacity the longevity would be shortened but if you're changing oil regularly and looking after it i dont see why it wouldn't last as long as any other turbo.
Plus at the price of the whole unit , it would be cheap enough to replace. It's always great not to be spending bmw M running costs on a Clio.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Ive had a garrett fail with a pop and f**k loads of smoke back in the day, exhaust impellor sheared off on full boost.

I still cant believe most of the clio turbo kits run ching spec cheapo turbos on them. Bang a garrett on and enjoy reliable boosting (well reliable turbo anyway ?)

Clio 172 ph2
Ive had a garrett fail with a pop and f**k loads of smoke back in the day, exhaust impellor sheared off on full boost.

I still cant believe most of the clio turbo kits run ching spec cheapo turbos on them. Bang a garrett on and enjoy reliable boosting (well reliable turbo anyway [emoji23])

Haha any sort of boost right now would be good to be honest [emoji23][emoji23]boost junkie lol