ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Powder coating white?

1.2 16v Dynamique
If painting alloys white, does it necessarily need powder coating or will spray painted white alloys look good also? why are some powder coated? thank you.

Get them powder coated. You can get a glossier finish with painting, but it will chip easier than powder coating will.

1.2 16v Dynamique
I see, so the whole reason for powder coating is to make them tougher,im guessing its also much more expensive

Nope, generally about the same price. You'll have to get your centre caps painted separately to match though.

1.2 16v Dynamique
oh ok cool, its just i know a mate who can spray them for me cheap, i dunno if his company does powder coating, if not shall i still go ahed with it i mean, is it really that bad for chips?

Meh, who knows, depends on the roads you drive on etc. If they're done properly they're not going to be a massive mess of stonechips within a month or two if that's what you mean, they're just going to be a bit less durable than powder coating. Depends how picky you are.

If you're getting them painted professionally for cheap then you may as well go with painting.

1.2 16v Dynamique
yeah think i will do mate, thanks for the help, when i get my car which i know ill be keeping for years, then i will think about powder coating, this is my first car and i'm hoping to get a lower mileage one at the end of the year but want this one to look good until then.

It also depends on whose powder coating them. With powder coat you can get a glossier finish than paint but will chip easier than paint or if they do the job properly then it will be more durable than paint but wont be as glossy.

If you know what your doing then you can actually flat and polish powder coat. Then apply wax and hey presto.