ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

power cap help!!!

clio mk2 ph2 1.2 16v
hello could anyone give me some advice on wiring a powercap what wires i need and how they work and any other usefull info

thank you

Nike Lunar Elite's
Gelder said:
hello could anyone give me some advice on wiring a powercap what wires i need and how they work and any other useful info

thank you

They don't work, and will actually put more strain on your battery

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Your amplifier has to be able to supply rapidly varying amounts of current to your speakers to accurately reproduce the music/sound being played. The resistance of the car's battery and the cabling limits that ability. Putting a very large capacitor as close as possible on the +12V supply to the amplifier would theoretically provide a ready source of current. Its sort of like have a one litre reserve tank of fuel up close to the fuel pump connected to it with a big pipe to provide for short bursts of acceleration. But it wouldn't make much difference. And its the same with a supercap. The difference it makes it probably too small to notice because it doesn't affect the sustained music power of your amps and speakers, it just slightly improves transient response.

If you think that's worth doing, do it. Connect its + terminal as close as possible to the +12V input on your amplifier. And its - terminal to a good earth. Use thick wire.

Polo + Micra
GordonD said:
Your amplifier has to be able to supply rapidly varying amounts of current to your speakers to accurately reproduce the music/sound being played. The resistance of the car's battery and the cabling limits that ability. Putting a very large capacitor as close as possible on the +12V supply to the amplifier would theoretically provide a ready source of current. Its sort of like have a one litre reserve tank of fuel up close to the fuel pump connected to it with a big pipe to provide for short bursts of acceleration. But it wouldn't make much difference. And its the same with a supercap. The difference it makes it probably too small to notice because it doesn't affect the sustained music power of your amps and speakers, it just slightly improves transient response.

If you think that's worth doing, do it. Connect its + terminal as close as possible to the +12V input on your amplifier. And its - terminal to a good earth. Use thick wire.

yep a one litre reserve tank than you can use 1 ml of then it will take away that from fuel supply to charge it self back up

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Not sure why you guys are slating power caps here, they are bloody useful if your running sounds with any decent levels of power. Ok they are a bit of a waste of time if your not running powerful amps or multiple amps, and if your wiring isnt up to scratch you might aswell spend money on that rather than a power cap. My advice is to use decent size cable right from the battery, at least 4 guage and mount the power cap as close to your amp/s as possible. Run the same size cable from the powercap, try to keep at least 4 guage going into your amps.

muz

big fat japanese bus
^ sorry but you are wrong mate. A cap is only useful for one top up, then it puts MORE drain on the system while it charges.

go to www.talkaudio.co.uk to the FAQs and search for power caps. It has been discussed logically, scientificaly and also with big shouty words.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I will always bow down to more knowledgable people, so i guess im wrong! But the one i ran on my old system seemed to help as the lights never dimmed once i was using it. It also looked the nads and was mounted damn sexually. And as i said before, you cant beat a decent wiring setup in the first place.