ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering issue, varying resistance/notchy

Hi all, got a strange issue with the hydraulic PAS on my clio 182. The steering seems to be notchy, like the assistance varies when turning the wheel left and right. So if I go lock to lock it seems to be fine then assistance drops then returns quickly. Probably does this 5 or 6 times lock to lock.
I thought this was due to maybe wear (top mount bearings were worn) but even after fitting BC's with new top mounts, poly rack mounts, gen steering arms and ends, poly lower arm bushes, and new ball joints the issue persists. The rack itself didn't seem to have any excess play when I had it all apart (and there's no clunk that you'd expect if the rack was worn) PAS fluid level is fine and still red so looks to have been changed not long before I bought the car.

My initial thought is the pump itself is on the way out, but I'm just wondering if anyone's had a similar issue before I buy a pump?

Before anyone says about EPAS conversions, I really don't want the hassle as this was meant to be a quick little build so I could track it asap.

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Mine felt similar when it blew the seal on the pump round track.

To the point that you could hardly steer.

I take it yours isn't leaking?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mine done the same when the pump failed on track, assist then no assist etc, nearly had a moment with it happening mid corner. New pump and fluid, running fluid on minimum on track and no issues since.

Thanks both, can't find any leaks so it sounds like a new pump it'll have to be then. The assist doesn't go completely but definitely drops for a split second.

Anyone recommend a decent pump that's not mega money? I'm tempted to get a cheap second hand one tbh as this car was only meant to be a stop gap!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Have you checked your ball joints on the hubs for play. Im not saying thats it but its worth eliminating.

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
have you had a listened to the pump whilst someone else turns the steering?long screwdriver touching it and other end to your ear?

have you had a listened to the pump whilst someone else turns the steering?long screwdriver touching it and other end to your ear?

Not that closely no, it whines a bit when cold but it seems they all do that. No gravelly noises you'd normally expect with a shagged pump though so I'll give it a go at some point.