ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Steering Noises

I forgot to ask on saturday, does anyone with a mk1 clio get any nasty noises from the power steering? Mines been doing it since i bought it, but it doesnt seem to have caused any problems. The guy who had the car before me said that a lot of them do it and its not causing any damage, has any one out there got any theories?

yeah i have

its normal for the vlver to do sort of thing

wont be doing any harm just it may get louder and the steering may get heavier

alm ost all 16v ive seen do this unless they have had a new ps pump fitted

wongy

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Yes my power steering pump was quite noisy, but I managed to quieten it a bit by loosening the drive belt. Still noisier than average tho.

Paul

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

Mine sounds worse than a 50 fags a day cleaner trying to sing! Or quite like that lass from the exorcist!

Yeah mines always made the noise, and it never seems to have developed into anything terminal, can they be fixed at all.

Alex M

clio williams, Ph1 172

Mines had two new power steering pumps and a new rack and still does it. Sometimes worse than other times

Valvers are notorious for this. Mine did it. Apparently, its to do with air in the system running through the pump. A long time ago, I was told by renault that you can self bleed them by simply parking the car up on grass (so as not to scuff the tyres) and turning from full lock to opposite full lock for about 10 to 15 times. This bleeds air out (dont know how).

I tried it on mine and it considerably quietened down for some time.

BMW 320d Sport

Scott Im just as gutted as you, mine was always pretty noisy then putting 18s on seemed to kill it within a few months, really noisy. Just put a new ps pump on a month ago and it was lovely and quiet for about 3 weeks then back to the bloody whining again!

Dont worry about it Steve its normal.

Like I say, its generally not the pumps, just air in the fluid. Try the trick I mentioned earlier, or maybe replace the fluid (?)

my williams makes a noise also when turning. only seems when i aint moving tho.. only if im trying to park etc.. and am trying full locks.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

i took a ziplock bag, cut a circle of it a few cm bigger than the P/S pump resivoir cap, placed it over then the cap on top, no noise

Mine only really does it when car not in motion. Also sometimes there is a wee tiny bit of fluid sitting round cap. Think I might change fluid and put a seal as suggested round underside of cap. Will report back if any joy at silencing it.

Alex M