ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

power steering pump

My power steering pump has recently started making noise. When the car is stationary or at very low speeds, i.e parking, it sometimes makes a bit of a clicky noise and other times its like a screeching noise. It doesnt do it all the time, and the steering is still light and responsive so the pump must be doing its job.

Are there any additives I can put in the power steering fluid? I have had a look around on the net, but have only found some stuff thats in Australia and I aint paying shipping from there! Anyone tried anything like this? I dont want to get a new pump just yet, as have just spent 600 quid on clutch etc. Anyone know where I can get some from?

the screech is the belt slipping, and dont be tempted to put any wd40 or the likes on it.....

You can check by getting a mate to turn the wheel when stationary and watch the pump to see if the belt slips over it.

i think slick 50 do something for power steering pumps.......saw it in halfords the other day !!.....dunno if it works !!!.....it was about £5.99

Ok cheers for information....Ben R know what you mean about trying to find an answer in a bottle! Its just dont want to spend on a new pump right now. If it is the belt slipping, how do I fix/rectify it?

new belt and about 3 hrs of work!

its not hard, but you jsut need to take off alot of stuff.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 02 May 2003

Mark, always looking for an answer in a bottle.....hows the rehab going anyway?
lol......you cheeky fecker.........he asked if there was anything he could put in.........didnt say it was the answer to his problem did i ???

& anyway....what you on about 3 hours ???...whats that...bita work...tea break...bita work tea break.........you workin for renualt garage now ?? lol

re-habs goin great m8..........i should be out of solitary confinment next month !!......they are gonna let me out on weekend release for the swindon meet !!! http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/dark2.gif

i opened the bonnet and look what i found,

i great lump of metal i thought it looked sound.

then something went wrong and i thought to myself,

thisll costa bomb and i aint got the wealth!!

:mad:

Damian........a child could do it......take out drivers side headlight, jack up car (off side) , take of o/s/f wheel, remove cover, remove lower cam cover, then through headlight hole......undo top alternator retaining bolt (13mm)...this slackens off yer belt.......take off belt & put new one on.....then put everything back on......have i missed somthing ???....( i feel as though i have) http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/stick.gif

owwww when you get a new belt make sure they dont give you the longer one for air con models....the tw*ts done that to me !!!

lol.........funks a poet & he didnt know it !!!

i had the same problem with my power steering , it kept making a screeching noise when parking ect at low speed , so i boguht some ...Comma Power Steering Fluid & Conditioner all in one bottle,this product helps prevent leaks and squels and was only about 6-9 quid,worth a try mate if u can find some.I bought it from my local garage.