ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering removal

172 cup
Hi all

I am looking to remove the power steering on my track 172 cup. I have heard it saves about 10kg and also improves the feel of the steering?

Has anyone done this? If so was it easy and what rack did you put in?

Cheers

172/1.2/E30
EPAS Clio rack (dci, 1.4 16v etc.) combined with 1*2 trackrods and ends. Regarding the aux belt you can use Volvo or R19/R5 setups.

Cup In bits
You can add a DCI electronic assisted column to the rack and add a box of tricks available on eBay to make the DCI steering variable.

Another option is just remove the power steering pump run a shorter belt, keep your cup rack, chop all pipes to rack, blank and fill pinion with grease then fill the rack with ps fluid and make a bridge piece. That's what I'll be running, not tested yet but heard its fine.

172 cup
Thanks very much for your suggestions guys.

Swede, i would be very interested in seeing how your setup holds up as its probably the cheaper option too. I am just always wary of home engineering because I would balls it up.

172/1.2/E30
DCI rack is around 50 quid on ebay. Much neater than filling a PAS rack with grease and bodging the lines together.

172 cup
Sorry but am being thick.

Have not done much with steering setups before... the dci had power steering as it was so why would I put one of them on?

330i. E30 Touring.
Unless you're going to get a custom quick rack made up from Quaife or something, I'd much rather retain PAS!

172/1.2/E30
DCi rack is almost the same ratio as the 1*2 rack. It's an EPAS rack with the steering assist motor on the column. Quick rack would make the steering to heavy imo.

Cup In bits
DCI rack is around 50 quid on ebay. Much neater than filling a PAS rack with grease and bodging the lines together.

Its not bodging if you do it right, what do you think the DCI rack is? Mine is done exactly the same with a fluid loop, better ratios and of better construction than the weedy dci rack.

Loads of people say its terrible. People ran non power steered cars for years, its just a luxury to have, when up to speed its hard to tell the difference from a non PAS car to a sport car with a good weighted PAS system, you get better feel without PAS. That's why I cant get my head around this idea of it being "horrid,horrific,awful" its a 1ton car not a truck.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Well i've not driven my track car that far since doing the conversion but i have the standard 182 rack with the middle pipes linked!

I quite like it but a lot of people hate it. Oh and by doing it my way you dont have to buy anything else.

Pics in my project thread whereever that is!

Cup In bits
Yeah I honestly think I will love it too Chris, it cleans the engine bay of fluid reservoir and stupidly expensive P/S pipe, run a a shorter belt and nothing else required on a cup, you don't need the pump as an idler gear either so whip that out.

Audi A5
My mates deleted his a/c and p.a.s and he's just done the same as chrispy and Swede.

On track I think if felt ok but not amazing. I wouldn't do it on my own as its just too much hard work driving day to day especially coupled with a smaller steering wheel.