ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Steering (Should it have it?)

Renault Clio 1995
Hi everyone,
I have a 1995 Renault Clio that I just bought. I love it, it's excellent, however, there is no power steering. Everything else about the car is mint, with no issues, and only 40k miles on the clock.
Is it meant to have power steering or is it just that old?
It isn't too difficult to drive without it, I drove 2 hours and although that was tough by the end I can definitely manage it.
Let me know what you think, I know nothing about the car,
Thanks

Renault Clio 1995
What trim level is it, RT/RL etc.?
Believe it was an option on the lower spec models, but I know very little about mk1s so may be wrong
I'm going to believe it was a lower spec model without it.... until the MOT tester tells me otherwise at the next check. Hopefully it never had PAS so I don't need to do anything!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I used to own one of these. So no, you don’t need PAS on a Clio.

5B8C16F6-53CE-45DD-8037-978D02C477D8.jpeg

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
One of my cars had power steering problems it felt worse then a car without it in the first place so unless your hardly able to turn the wheel I guess it doesn’t have it, if you post a picture of your engine bay we can tell you for sure.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Yea, to be honest, it isn't necessary for the car, but if it did come as standard I believe that would be an MOT fail so that is what I'm most concerned about.
It's not an issue for MOT unless parts of it are broken, lots of people have upgraded their Clio's by removing the power steering so it's not something to be bothered about.
I took the manual steering bits from a car that was probably identical to yours, fitted them to the car in my profile pic to get rid of the power steering then daily drove it for 4 years before making it a track car

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
Check your number of turns lock to lock. If its about 3.5 thats normal for a manual rack. If its about 2.5 then it should have PS.
2.5 turns in a Mk1 was once only reserved for the rich boys going racing & having the rack custom made, praise the lord for the guy that figured out you could do it with a Mk2 dci rack instead :ROFLMAO: