ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering

172 cup
Not sure wether it is the pump or what but anyone got a rough idea of prices too fix depending on what it is of course lol

172 cup
There is no power steering at all and also there is awfull steering wheel wobble and at a big higher speed the steering gets alot lighter and the wobble stops lol

172DD Cup
is the fluid level ok?
can you hear the pump whining like a supercharger?

edit: long shot, but does your auxiliary belt squeal? is the belt tight?

172 cup
There is a proper loud wirring noise when I start it up and the occiasianal squealing but the whirring will stop after about a minute or so

172DD Cup
may as well bleed the system as it's simple to do. with the engine off, turn wheel left to right, all the way to the stops, but don't hold it there for more than a second or so. then do the same with the engine running, again important that you don't hold it against the stops for longer than a second. check fluid level and top up if necessary.

the whirring is the power steering pump struggling, and the squealing is the aux belt slipping. the pump could be struggling because the belt isn't turning the pulley properly due to the slipping belt, but i doubt it.

check to make sure the belt is tight, best way is pressing against the centre point of the longest part of the belt between pulleys, which on the cup means you have to get on the floor and move some arch plastics. on the cup the belt stretches from the crank pulley (furthest towards rear of engine) to steering pump, but i don't know the belt routing on a non cup. i can push my new belt about 1cm in either direction, although i fitted it so may be wrong. basically just make sure it feels nice and tight. when was the belt last changed? should be renewed every 36k.

while you're there, pull the plug on the pas pressure sensor, its the big silver nut that screws into the hard pipe just in front of the alternator, you'll have to get your head in the bay as it's down behind the bumper. pull the plug off and check for fluid inside the plug. it's a common problem for these sensors to leak from the inside. if its leaking, it may cause the pump to work harder. £79+vat from renault, or there's 2 on ebay at the moment for £68 delivered. there was 3, but i bought one :)

lastly, the pump could be on it's way out. as long as the belt is tight, the sensor isn't leaking, there's no fluid leaking anywhere (ie at the rack) you could need a new pump. if the belt has to come off for any reason (ie loose, renewed) then turn the pump by hand, you shouldnt get much resistance. it won't spin freely like the alternator, but it will spin easily. if there is sufficient resistance, it's new pump time. check internet for rebuild site. £85 on a site i saw, but that was a quick look. motor factors will probably want £150 for a new pump. renault more again. it might be false economy fitting second hand pump, it could go the same way in the matter of a couple of months.

that's a long post.

172 cup
Cheers for all the info dude, i'll check it out when i get a chance :)
hopefully it's something easy and cheap too fix haha :)

Clio Mk2 Ph1 1.9D
Hi...

I hope my answer isn`t late... I had troubles with my electric-hydraulic power-steering pump on my Clio 1.9D from 1999 with Air-conditioner...
I used the guide from the link below and fixed my pump for only 10€... In shop new one was around 300€ and used one around 100€ plus the mechanic to replace it...

Anyway, I was googling for the solution and found - followed the guide and fix it... Honestly it is to get power-steering back... :) The link is in French and I used google-translate:

http://translate.google.com/transla...forum-auto.com/marques/renault/sujet10295.htm

Cheers

Tags:

Renault Clio mk 2 Ph 1 1.9 D with air conditioner electric hydraulic power-steering pump EHPS EPS repair fix

Last edited: