ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poxy clio

182FF
Since i brought my car (a month ago/ FF182) the back end felt really twitchy. Got the mrs old man to drive it as he is an
ex racing driver & owns his own garage. Straight away he said he thought it was the front shocks (which turned out to be leeking) so went straight to London and had them replaced for £80 :-D

Was fine and felt like a different car until i hit a small bump on the motorway on the journey home. So had it in the garage today and they couldnt find anything wrong with it :-S any ideas what else it could be? It has a pe2 on one side and a budget on the other.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
of course it would!! You have a complete mismatch!! also check the wheel alignment as it may have jumped a bit if you hit a big enough bump...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Dan has a point, he hasnt actually stated what its doing wrong now... only what it was doing before it was fixed

182FF
Cheers guys cant afford to buy all 4 before lemans so will buy two new t1R's this week. Was thinking maybe the wheel/s are buckled etc or a weight might have come
off.

Sorry about my complete lack of knowledge regarding cars!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Hit a bump on the motorway and it's felt weird ever since,
alignment knocked out + mismatched tyres = feeling weird imo.

If you've lost a weight off one of the wheels, you'd feel juddering/vibration through the steering wheel.

182FF
Before i had the front shocks the back end felt really twichty on any and every corner.
Had the front shocks replaced and it tightened it up ALOT but the problem
didnt go away.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Rear shocks need replacing,
mine were fecked when I got my car and the rear was all over the shop, even in a straight line.

Last edited:

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
If the back is uber twitchy to the point where it isnt feeling safe...then it would be rear dampers need doing. Jack it up at back and see if there is any leakage from dampers.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
They can still be knackered without them leaking,

Does the back feel like it's bouncing around on rough roads?
Does the back end step out even at slow speeds when you show it a corner?

If the answer is yes to one or both of these, then it's the shocks....we've all been there mate.

182FF
Nice one its the shocks 100% then after reading that! Some garage its at now when they cant even diagnose fucked rear shocks! When my mrs was driving behind me she said it bounced around :-/

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
A garage will just do a visual check, if there are no leaks then they'll assume they're fine.

They'd have to remove them and check the compression and rebound to realise they're fecked.

182FF
I can get the shocks at a discounted trade price. The only issue is replacing them because i can just about change a wheel!

182FF
Going to see if i can take it to another
garage first no point in me paying for it if i can get it done for free!

clio
Dead easy to change the rear shocks as has been said just a few bolts think it's quite common. Think there is a guide in the guide section :)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Dead easy to change the rear shocks as has been said just a few bolts think it's quite common. Think there is a guide in the guide section :)

Too True...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?164574-Clio-Mk2-lowering-guide-*springs*

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?579168-Fitting-lowering-springs-to-a-Mk2-Clio

They should be of help...2nd one has pics too...don't worry about the fact that they are lowering springs, just look at how the dampers are removed...really is wasy on the rears...but you would be better off with spring compressors on the rears. :)

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
Just a thought mate, have you checked tyre pressures recently at all? Also miss matched tyres (a good brand and a cheap brand)will not be doing you any favours. Why not try your spare wheel in place of the cheap tyre before you take the rear dampers off?