ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pre loading wifi keys info onto iPod touch - 700 devices!!!

Clio 197
Hiya,

We're getting 700 iPod touch devices... all of which need various network keys in order to work when roaming round the site.

Is there a way of pre loading a device with a list of networks, rather than having to enter them one network at a time?

The next problem is mail settings... How do you setup 700 devices easily?

Ta very much in advance.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Just a thought, you mention mail settings....

You do realise that when the display is off on an iPod Touch it disables WiFI and therefore push notifications don't work, instead it wakes up the WiFI every 15 minutes to do a check.

Clio 197
Yup... It'll be better than what most staff have at the moment. Currently, laptops are used but we're moving round the site all the time. Every 15 mins is ideal tbh. Plus the apps will prove useful.

Surely you could restore/backup one and then plug in the second/third/fourth and restore them from the same file? Long winded, but less so than typing it in?

Surely you could restore/backup one and then plug in the second/third/fourth and restore them from the same file? Long winded, but less so than typing it in?

Lol. Seven hundred times?!

Let's say the whole process takes 2mins. That includes plugging in, doing back up etc. That's 1400 mins. Based on doing that continuously, that's nearly 24 hours. But on a working week scale, that's 3 and a half days. Just updating them!! LOL

Will these 700 users not have their own computer? So send the file, get them to do it themselves, before they personalise it . . . ?

I am basing this on my limited knowledge and presumption that you can restore/backup in the same method as the iPhones?

Clio 197
Will these 700 users not have their own computer? So send the file, get them to do it themselves, before they personalise it . . . ?

I am basing this on my limited knowledge and presumption that you can restore/backup in the same method as the iPhones?

Each of those users would have to install itunes... or .net framework 3.5 + the config utility... connect.... then setup... etc.

If you look at the total number of hours required for each staff member to do that, it's a fair few!!!

So in terms of total man hours, it's quicker for the IT guys to sort it out conveyor belt style.

Last edited: