ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pre tensioners for seats

Clio 172 Cup
Hi Guys,

When i bought my clio the airbag and serv light was on, so when i was at birchdown early on in year i got them to check it out and there computer said that the pre tensioners had gone off on rear passenger side and passenger front. The car hasnt been involved in an accident so no idea why these have gone off. How easy are them to replace? I know about the airbag computer under ashtray that will need to be sent off. But is it easy to replace the pre tensioners in the seats?

Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Front one is one is in the buckle, theres one bolt and one wire, but you will need to take the seat out to get to it. This involves getting under the car.

The rear one is in the seatbelt unit itself and involves removing the interor trim.

Its not difficult, but if you've never done it before, take your time to avoid breaking clips etc.

Clio 172 Cup
So to take the seat out you need to get under the car? What do i need to remove under the car? And what's the buckle?

Also are they expensive to buy? Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The front one was £70 from renault. I've no idea on the cost of the rear one. You're better off speaking to one of the people selling spares on here.

Jack the car up, put it on axle stands and you'll need a small screw driver to remove 2 rubber covers, and a deep 13mm socket to undo the four bolts for the seat.

Clio 172 Cup
Ok cheers dan, am i to unlug the airbag computer first replace the pre-tensioners send the computer off then plug it back in? Would the light then go off? I dont want the new ones to go off because of the airbag computer.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
They won't go off mate. If you're a bit nervous of the airbags, (I was the first few times! lol) disconnect the battery for half hour before you start work.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Front one is one is in the buckle, theres one bolt and one wire, but you will need to take the seat out to get to it. This involves getting under the car.

The rear one is in the seatbelt unit itself and involves removing the interor trim.

Its not difficult, but if you've never done it before, take your time to avoid breaking clips etc.

You don't have to take the seat out at all to change the pretensioner! You can change the two in under 5 mintues!

1. Take the cover off near the hand brake thats on the side of the seat (hex type screw like all interior bits)
2. Then the pretensioner is bolted on using a larger hex once thats off you will need to unplug the cable, (easy as)

bobs your uncle pretensioner is off!

MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND LEAVE IT 10 MINUTES BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!

Clio 172 Cup
yeah deff lol, going to order the pre tensioners and get the airbag computer sent off, think you can get them reset for about £40ish.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You don't have to take the seat out at all to change the pretensioner! You can change the two in under 5 mintues!

I didn't know that, as i've only changed mine on a seat that was out of the car.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
I didn't know that, as i've only changed mine on a seat that was out of the car.

Yeah its an easy job, I've had to replace the two on mine and then the airbag light stayed on so I tested them on my dads car (Clio DCI) and they worked fine all this took about 20 minutes if i had had to take the seats out it would have taken much longer! surprisingly easy to work on the airbag system in clios.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
pm how easy is it to remove the rear one? thanks

its a bit harder because IIRC to get the top piece of trim off that its behind you have to take the rear door card off. you might be able to do it without though it has been a while since i've had that off.

1. Top piece above rear window just pulls off... behind it is a screw/clip thing that needs un-doing
2. Pull off the rear boot seal just near the trim peice to help with access.
3. Two hex's that can be accessed through the boot need to come off.

I think then you may be able to bend/hold that piece out of the way, otherwise its rear door card off and after that the belts just held in place using a hex again, and a 19mm bolt through the door card

Sent you a PM too

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
I've accessed the front one easy enough, but had a look at the rear taken that off but they dont have a pretensioner in them and there not connected to anything electrical so i guess they just have pre-tensioners in the front?

Ph1 ITB'd 172
I've accessed the front one easy enough, but had a look at the rear taken that off but they dont have a pretensioner in them and there not connected to anything electrical so i guess they just have pre-tensioners in the front?

Yea that's right it would have a purple wire that plugs in if it was a
pretensioner!