ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pre tensioners

N/A Currently
I've done a search but couldnt find what I was looking for.

I've crashed my car, and need to check which pre-tensioners have gone, and how to replace them?

Any idea how I would know they had gone off, and how would I replace them?

Any idea where I could come across some as well

N/A Currently
oh yea, sorry, its a 172 2002.

I read a couple of things but I kept getting confused, its not my strongest knowledge point :D

it should be fairly obvious if they've fired (assuming you weren't carrying passengers at the time?)

the fronts are in the belt buckle (on the inside of the seat) and will have retracted downwards if they've fired - the stalk that the buckle is mounted on will have been pulled into the pretensioner mech and it'll probably also have broken the plastic trim on the side of the seat which covers the mech

rears will have been pulled tight against the seat backs and will have locked if they've fired

if any of them have gone off, you need to renew the relevant bits and also reset/renew the airbag ECU (which is under the centre console)

N/A Currently
Thanks for that, I wasnt carrying passengers at the time!

My dad checked the front two seat buckles, and said they are the same, and theres no damage to the trim, and they both work fine, so guessing they've not gone.

One of the rears has pulled tight, but the other is fine, so hoping its just the 1 that needs to be replaced.

Drivers seat airbag has gone off, so going to have to reset the airbag ECU. I've heard this is costly?

i'm still not 100% on this myself as i've got a similar problem to you at the moment and have sent my ECU off to be reset. the offical Renault line is that they need renewing (£200+) but some on here have had them reset by independent electronics outfits.

mine's due back from this chap tomorrow (http://www.v12electronics.co.uk/) - sent it yesterday, he received it today and has already spoken to me to say that it has reprogrammed OK (not always a certainty apparently) and it should be back with me tomorrow - for £40. hoping it's as it should be, but won't know until 'later'

that particular chap is very helpful though - can recommend him thus far

N/A Currently
I'm guessing it cant be done through any sort of person who has a fancy code reader or anything like that?

Can you let me know if you get yours back without issue, if so, I may have to give the chap an email/ring nearer the time :D

mate, just to let you know that mine's now back together and that the ECU reset seems to have done the job (the Airbag and SERV lamps are out anyway) - recommended