ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Prices so low, better to keep hold?

Inferno 182
I have owned my 185 for 4 years now. I still love it.
With a 1 year old girl, the boot space is tight at times, other than that there is no reason to sell. My family keep telling me to get a bigger car, to make it easier with the little one.
Problem is, I can't bring myself to sell the Clio for £3.5k or whatever it will sell for. I just think that I will regret it.
Anyone else starting to think that they won't get rid of their Clio?
I see loads of people lusting after 205 Gti's and the like these days that miss them from years back, I reckon the 172/182 will be the same in the future.
With prices of our cars seemingly gone through the floor, it makes everything else seem over priced.
I mean is a Megane 230 of similar mileage really worth double the 182?
I still love how it looks -
DSC_1296.jpg

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Car looks good!

Yeah i had this feeling, i had my 172 up for sale at 2k, which i thought was a fair price, and i would of happily paid 2k for it at that time, but i ended up deciding to keep it because with the amount of other clios for sale for low prices, most of them turds, were making it hard for me to sell mine.

Im going to keep mine till i find something new, or it breaks :)

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably just about get 2k for my 172 Cup and to be honest for anything I'd consider as a decent upgrade I'd need to spend 4 times as much.
I'd much rather keep it as it's worth so little and if I need something bigger I'd buy an old bangar and run both and still save money compared to anything I consider a worth upgrade.

work for BMW
I sold my 182 sharpish as I could see the prices going down and down.pretty glad I did as examples better then mine are now going for less then I sold it for!

Inferno 182
I sold my 182 sharpish as I could see the prices going down and down.pretty glad I did as examples better then mine are now going for less then I sold it for!

What did you get instead though, are you really better off?
...and why do the Clios seemed to have dropped so much, so quickly?
Is it just typical of French cars getting to a certain age? the reputation means they drop much more than the German and Japanese stuff?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I just bought a second car and kept the Clio as a wknd/track car. Don't think I'll ever sell it! And just like you said I believe these will be sought for in years to come like the 205 gti's :)

work for BMW
What did you get instead though, are you really better off?
...and why do the Clios seemed to have dropped so much, so quickly?
Is it just typical of French cars getting to a certain age? the reputation means they drop much more than the German and Japanese stuff?
I went to a 1.2 clio but just sold that for a polo fsi, I did it for cost savings because of uni etc rather then selling it because it was going down in value.
im not really sure why the massive decrease in value so quickly , I guess it's good and bad.. Good because you can buy an awesome hot hatch for so cheap but then again bad as your going to loose monies

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I was thinking about selling my PH1 but after owning it for just over 2 years its still only done 45k, it seems a waste of a nice car as i dont use it for months but the price i would have to sell it for it makes sence to keep it.

Mini 1000/172/Leon
Keep the phase one if its mint and keep the mileage down in 5 years time will be worth 3k+ certain future classics imo

Black Gold Trophy
Mine is worth more to me than any punter would be prepared to pay for it, so I'm pretty sure I'll end up keeping it

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
If your only selling up cos the family don't. Your almost over the hardest bit so hang in there.

The next stage seats will be fixed in and I had no problems in fact the 3 doors made it easier as there was space to actually get in too.

Likewise pram turns to a smaller buggy too soon so boot space is ok

Hang in there

172 and vw passat
same as me i have a 2003 172 with 52k on the clock and im second owner iv had to sorn the clio and buy a banger..

I was thinking about selling my PH1 but after owning it for just over 2 years its still only done 45k, it seems a waste of a nice car as i dont use it for months but the price i would have to sell it for it makes sence to keep it.

This. My car isnt worth naff all.

The only way its going to leave is in lots of bits unfortunately :(

phase 1 flamer 172
Keep it, when my first was born i celebrated by buying a 205 gti 1.9, kept it till she was about 6(daughter not the car), did the job alright.

WR1 impreza
Just gone through the same agony trying to make a decision. Ive just traded my 2004 b/g 182 with 69000 miles on the clock which ive owned for 6yrs and got 2K trade in and that was the best offer i got. Even Glasses guide only had it valued at 2400 for a private sale.

Ive only traded mine in cause I cant be doing with numpties coming to my house trying it on.

The decision has been made a little easier as ive traded it in for an Impreza WR1 :approve:

Inferno 182
No but how can you compare a newer car just on mileage.

Not sure I'm with you?
My question is; is a Megane 230 worth twice as much as a similar mileage 182. More space, more performance, better built, but it doesn't feel that one is worth twice what mine is to me. It's a rhetorical question really, because everyone would have a different opinion.
I like the Meganes but to me, at this stage, not enough to pay so much after selling mine.

Thanks for the replies guys, it's confirmed what I was already thinking, I'll keep hold of it.