ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Private Reg transfer...

I'm thinking about buying anotehr car from a good friend of mine but I want to transfer my plate across to that car.... I won't be able to buy his car though until I've sold mine (to free up money) so does this mean I will have to put my plate on retention? then transfer it across or is there anyway around not paying stupid money for retention etc

The DVLA website doesn't state whether or not the two vehicles have to be owned by me to transfer the plate ...

Has anyone else been in this situation?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Pay the £105 retention fee.. sell the car, buy the other them transfer from retention to car for free!

:)

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
not from a retention certificate son.. £80 transfer fee is included in the £105!!

Trust me, im Scottish!

clio 182 black /gold
I dont have a link but G4Z is correct 100%. I have transfered my plate from retention to me clio.

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Yeh hes right. From retension to car is free. From car to car is £80. its worth the extra £25 in your case cus this is exactly what i did 6 months ago.

ok how long can it take until the plate is off the car? I have to fill out a V317 form which then qualifies for a V778 form i think...

Also once it's off the car what form do I have to fill in to get it back onto another car? lol

This is such a ballache!

Nimbus 197
I just put my plate onto retention. Yep, fill in the V317 and take it to the local DVLA office along with your V5C. (or send it off, whichever you prefer)

I was told it usually takes 2-3 weeks but can take up to 6 weeks for them to return your new V5 and tax disc. Retention certificate can take longer. Not sure what happens going from retention to car...will let you know when I get my clio =D

omg! That's too long :( I wanted to get it off mine and sell it asap! would it be quicker getting money for the 172 and having both the cars under my name then just transferring the reg over?

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
I had this issue when selling my car.

Basicly i left it too late!!

Put my plate on retention, all the docs came thru, apart from V5 which took the full 4 weeks!! stupid thing....cudnt sell car till it arrived.

Also, put the plate on retention, unless your buying the new car before that.
The retention fee also inclued a transer fee, so you wont have to pay anything to put it onto your new car...

Start the ball rolling and get the plate onto retention ASAP...

I think I sent my V5C to my insurance company in feb along with my proof of driving licence and something else!!! FFS

Polo Bluemotion
I had this issue when selling my car.

Basicly i left it too late!!

Put my plate on retention, all the docs came thru, apart from V5 which took the full 4 weeks!! stupid thing....cudnt sell car till it arrived.

Also, put the plate on retention, unless your buying the new car before that.
The retention fee also inclued a transer fee, so you wont have to pay anything to put it onto your new car...

Start the ball rolling and get the plate onto retention ASAP...

I did this last month when i got the polo. i went to the dvla office the day before i did the deal on my car and paid the £105 to put the plate on retention. It didnt affect a thing, and the corrected log book and eventually retention certificate came through about a week later. As previously said, the £105 includes the cost of putting the reg on another car, so your effectively paying £25 for confirmation your plate is in your ownership at all times. Well worth it imo

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
I did this last month when i got the polo. i went to the dvla office the day before i did the deal on my car and paid the £105 to put the plate on retention. It didnt affect a thing, and the corrected log book and eventually retention certificate came through about a week later. As previously said, the £105 includes the cost of putting the reg on another car, so your effectively paying £25 for confirmation your plate is in your ownership at all times. Well worth it imo

But they take the V5 as it has the wrong number plate on it.

Or did you sell your car without a V5 :S

Polo Bluemotion
But they take the V5 as it has the wrong number plate on it.

Or did you sell your car without a V5 :S

They took the car itself, and a letter stating ownership of the car, along with the ownership of the plate, signed by myself, the salesman and the manager of the VW dealership. They were happy with that, as i didnt have my log book. They were able to verify ownership, finance etc with the relevant online agencies.

Doing things this way meant i got the car when i wanted it, they got their sale, and there was never any worries about where my number plate was+who owned it.