ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Probably a taboo subject but...... tow bars.

Hopefully a Clio 172 soon
As I'm old I'm allowed to want to tow things behind my ph1 172. Does anyone know of a detatchable towbar that would be completely hidden when removed (if that makes sense) ?

Need to flog the espace and therefore will need a trailer for the trackbikes.

Ta.

Beetle
Somewhere does them because i remember seeing two 172cups on here towing car transporter trailers, don't know who though sorry

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I have a tow bar on my Mk2 172.

I wanted a car able to tow a light trailer. For getting the race kart to the track and taking rubbish to the dump every so often. The Renault web site listed a tow bar for all the smaller-engined Clios, but not the 2 litre. So I told to the dealer no towbar or no sale - mistake! - and asked whether Renault didn't offer them with the 172 because there was a problem, or because it didn't think people like us would want one. He claims he checked with Renault who said there wasn't any problem fitting one, and he ordered one from them, and he delivered the car new fitted with it.

The first time I towed a trailer I could see immediately why Renault didn't offer a towbar. It made the 172's bad habit of hiccupping and stalling when you don't pick up the exact right number of revs off from a start a lot worse. Because the 172 has lots of grunt it has a tall first gear to minimise wheel spin. With a trailer on the back, and the airconditioning on, and uphill in stop-start traffic you just about have to torture the clutch to death. Its not a good tow car. In summary its OK if you live in a flat country area, but its a bad idea if you live in a hilly congested city.

And I don't know whether this applies to you where you are, but where I moved to shortly after I bought the car the law says the maximum towing weight is whatever the manufacturers handbook says it is. Since the Renault hand book says no towbar that means zero. So I need to be able to tow, and I've paid for a towbar, but if I actually tow anything I'm breaking the law and if I have any sort of crash my insurance is void. You should check the legal situation wherever you are.

CS Dungeon
I had a 'Witter' tow bar on my Mk1 172, however it was a permanent fixed one and not detachable........I used it to tow the speed boat at weekends:)

MKIII 138
god its hard enough to roll off the line like a normal car in both 172` ive owned get it right and its not too bad get it wrong and you stall or give it too much and travell into the future

Turbos.
I was trying to work out a similar thing at the weekend.

If you look in the manual it says '(2)' which says you can't tow, but then for a braked trailer it says you can, to a weight of 1490kg.

I was hoping to trailer the Honda NSX (1200kg + trailer) but now i don't think it's worth the risk after what Gordon has said! I was hoping the Clio might be ok as you often seen battered Mondeos pulling caravans etc.!

Your not allowed to tow with the 172/182 I looked at the details.
There stupid rules and regulation but Renault havn't tested it even though its the same shell as normal cars (hence why you cna get tow bars since the car has the same mounts etc) and the engine the same as stuck in other cars which can tow. So you canot tow you can put the car forward for testing but the cost is a few grand and it won't be supported by Renault.

If you ever had an accident towing insurance could refuse to pay up as the car isn't proven for towing.

The same problem exists for Skoda Fabia VRS but thats in the funnier position that dealers will fit tow bars even thoguh the manual says not to the car is idential to the Seats which can have tow bars fitted to legally.

The 172 isn't ideal for towing the clutch isn't good anyway along with high gearing.

There are people who tow with then infact there two Cup which are almost idential towing almost identical Caterham race cars Isay them some time agao at Oulton never found out who the owners were they muct have know each other though.

If you do want a tow bared 172 there not many fixes one is to reregister the car has a kit car even sticking a 172 engine box etc in it still don't mean its can tow I'm not sure though use a 1.2 sheel 172 gear and take the 172 number plate and you could argue the cars a 1.2 with a 172 transplant and since the 1.2 can legally tow you'd possible be ok it would need the law to get heavily involved to argue your wrong.

jons172 said:
Hey, let me know if you fiond one!! I have the same problem :(
Thx
Any none RS clio tow bar wil fit its just the legality as I wrote above which means you cannot tow.

You cna get one for the 182 custom made but again legality.