ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem changing rear springs?

120d M Sport
Having followed the guide on here, rear shock bolts are removed, car is jacked up on the rear beam, why are the springs not showing any signs of budging at all?

What have I missed lol??

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Because you are jacking from the rear beam, jack it on the jacking points on the side.

120d M Sport
From a safety point of view, where do I place the stands then whilst I'm jacking the car up on the sill?

It seems like I'm having to jack the car up really high for the springs to start looking like I can get them out.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Are the wheels off? If you can get a jack on the rear beam and put the sills on axle stands and gradually lower the beam with the wheels off they will come out easy peasy.

120d M Sport
I'm jacking the car on the sills now, I've got the jack practically vertical about as high as it will go and they still ain't coming out?

120d M Sport
For anyone in future who has r****d moments like this, just jack the car up on the middle of the beam as high as it will go, place axle stands either side, then lower the jack completely and the springs will pop out.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For anyone in future who has r****d moments like this, just jack the car up on the middle of the beam as high as it will go, place axle stands either side, then lower the jack completely and the springs will pop out.

That's how everyone does it. :S

120d M Sport
Haha I'm not the best with the spanners, I just hadn't jacked it up high enough that was all. Got there in the end though, and the fronts too, all spot on now.

Not sure a character assassination was due however, working on cars is a learning curve for me. I know half of Cs aspire to be mechanics but I've absolutely no desire at all beyond tinkering with my own cars.

Last edited:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
i think it was just the fact it is quite obvious to most people how to remove the springs and from what you said in your OP you had just jacked it up and expected them to fall out without lowering the rear beam.

120d M Sport
i think it was just the fact it is quite obvious to most people how to remove the springs and from what you said in your OP you had just jacked it up and expected them to fall out without lowering the rear beam.

I'd dropped the beam just I'd not got the rear up high enough for them to drop out (was only 1 notch up on the stands). A comical beginners effort I admit but I'll know for next time. Did the hard bit (the fronts) without issue.

Thanks for your help!
Lesson learnt. ;)

Indeed :eek:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Lol at jacking up the car up with all the weight on the springs, then trying to pull them out!

120d M Sport
Car is now sitting on some nice prolines all round and looks slightly less like a roller skate (was wearing some stilt-effect aftermarket replacement springs) pity I can't drive it as my one and only key is in bits :(