ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with my clutch I think

Clio sport 172
Was on my way into work last night for the dreaded nightshift so wasn't in a hurry a pulled over to let a car through a narrow section in the road went to pull away again just heard a loud bang and now it won't drive :( got the car towed home and the lad who towed it says its the clutch that's went on it (he's a mechanic at a local garage) just thought I would get another opinion before putting it in a garage for repair

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Does it still select gears?

could be the ciclip problem, you'd have to search though as I don't know much about it but its fairly common.

If you heard a bang and the clutch petal is now floppy, I'm 100% sure that your clutch cable as the same happened to me on the motorway.. In rush hour!

Clio sport 172
It still selects all gears fine and the clutch pedal is not floppy a checked the cabel on the side of the road last night it's fine. What circlip fails on them is there a thread on how to solve the problem? Sorry about needing so many details its my first car witch isn't a vauxhall lol

It still selects all gears fine and the clutch pedal is not floppy a checked the cabel on the side of the road last night it's fine. What circlip fails on them is there a thread on how to solve the problem? Sorry about needing so many details its my first car witch isn't a vauxhall lol

So if its not floppy and selects all gears then how can It be broken??

So if its not floppy and selects all gears then how can It be broken??

^^Flol

There is a circlip that hold the differental in place inside the box and they pop out of position. This then enables the diff to move out of place hence no drive.

And once they pop they don't stop in my expirence, People say get the circlip welded in place but i wouldn't. There is a plate on ebay which bolts in and does the same job as the circlip but doesn't fail. Only problem is you need to drill and tap the diff housing.

Empty the gear oil and pop the passenger side shaft out. You will hopefully see a big circlip knocking about its about the same size as Jessie j's ear ring lol.

Ph1 or ph2 172 or ph2 cup?

Clio sport 172
Are right sound a take it all the work what needs done is through there and no need to pull the diff out. It's a ph2 172

No everything can be done through the passenger side wheel arch, no need to strip the box out.

If you had a ph1 or 172 cup they are speedo cable driven so you can start the car and try and drive as normal and if the speedo increases its the circlip.

But your speed is measured through the abs sensors iirc, so its a pop the shaft out job to check. Although i don't know if you could put it in gear and push it to see if the resistance of gear stops the car rolling??? and if it does roll in gear more than half a metre its the circlip..