ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with non starting

mx5
Hi guys, looking for some help please.

Clio Phase 1 172, with what looks like a TOAD alarm fitted as well, there is a SIGMA alarm siren in the engine bay.

My car recently decided to not start. I will start at the beginning and try not to leave anything out.

Car st some point when driving would drop power and bog down as if not getting any air, I thought this would be down to a faulty lambda sensor as I have the fault codes for this but it is still running apart from the occasional bogging down.

Car was running fine, I dropped my key one evening and the remote unlocking button broke, it has come apart inside the key.
I went to get my second key, opened the car and went to start it, it did not start, having a quick think decided to try the broken key to start and it did. so for a few days was using one to unlock the car and the other to start.

After a few days came back from about an hours drive, pulled up outside my house, stopped the car went in to get something and came out to head out again and the car would not start at all with either key.

I have tried a few things. I have changed the TDC sensor (crank angle sensor). It was very dirty and cleaning it still did not allow it to start.

Can hear the fuel pump priming and there is fuel on the spark plug upon removal

I appear to not be getting a spark though.

Putting the probe of a multimeter into the top of the coil pack connector I initially putting the ignition on I get a 12v supply that drops off to 0 after about 1 second. When cranking over I get 12v for the same time again 1 second and then it drops to nothing.

Where can I go next, would this suggest a problem pre coil pack or the coil pack itself, do they fail at all?

Apologise if I have missed something out, but any help would be great, need to get it up and running again soon.

Thanks

Rich

mx5
No immobiliser light at all.

When I go to turn over the car the hazards flash once, and to be honest I never notice if the car did this before or not.

mx5
Do you think it would be fairly straight forward to remove. If I follow wires carefully etc, or should I get an alarm guy out to remove? I don't need an aftermarket alarm.

Tbh it depends how well it's been installed. I had a Clifford that took less than 10 mins to bypass with no tools.

I expect it'll have single colour wiring being thatcham approved, so it's not just a case of following cables I'm afraid.