ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problem with steering

Clio 172 Ph1
I have a problem with a 172 mk1. When i turn my steering wheel on full lock (on right or left side) i hear loud knocking noise. When i drive everything is fine and there is no sound at all from steering, but when i turn on full lock there is that sound, like something is grinding. I suppose it isn't broken power steering pump because it is only doing that on full lock?
What can it be, and how to fix it?

Clio 172 Ph1
No it is not rubbing. Car is not lowered, and has original 15" wheels. And the sound is there when car is stacionary (engine runing).

Clio 172 Ph1
Can it be aux belt??

What is exactly top mount?? I am not that good in english.
How much does it cost, and how difficult is to change it?

Clio 172 Ph1
Maybe i explained it bad. The grinding sound is there when car is stopped, engine is running, and i turn my steering wheel full on right or left side. When i turn steering wheel little less than full, then the sound is gone.

On the top of your suspension strut the back of it under the bonnet will be catching on ther bodywork of the car. The fix is either to grind away some of the cars where its catching or put some spacers onto the strut top so it doens't catch.,

Clio 172 Ph1
It seems it's not it. Because today i drove the car and there was no sound and everything was perfect. I try to steer to full lock few times and it was ok. Yesterday also sometimes there was that sound, sometimes not.

Last month or two car wasn't driven much, so could that be the reason? So maybe some part got a little rust or something like that, and now that i drove it few days it is working ok again?

Clio 172 Ph1
Is that tensioner this:

If this is the problem, what can i do to fix it? Must i buy a new one, or maybe i can lubricate it or something (and where exactly...spring or that circle (i don't know the name for it))?

Is that tensioner this:

If this is the problem, what can i do to fix it? Must i buy a new one, or maybe i can lubricate it or something (and where exactly...spring or that circle (i don't know the name for it))?

Well can you tell if its that which is making the noise they are a common problem. Buit at £80 for a new one and a new belts £12 then its 2.7 hours for a garage to replace its a lot of money are you due a cambelt/aux belt changer or had one etc?

Clio 172 Ph1
The cambelt is changed 10k ago. For aux belt i don' know.

I was told that i don't how to change complete tensioner, and that i can buy only that bearing on it and change it? Because that bearing is that what is wineing?

Clio 172 Ph1
How much movement can aux belt have when i try to press it? I think it is tight enough, but just wanna be sure.