ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems when car is cold

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Ok i wonder if anybody can help with any information about this or help fix it.

Basically when the car is cold it starts ok, but the problem is driving it. I know you should never thrash a car when its cold...so i dont. But the car drives like it has kangaroo petrol until the engine heats up to normal operating temperatures then its fine. Ive heard its some safety thing to stop you driving it hard when cold, but im not driving it hard...im driving it normal. The other problem is it doesnt always happen all the time, but recently its happening just about ever other day. Its the only thing thats annoying me about my 2004 clio 172 cup sport and i want to get it fixed.

I just wondered if anybody else had this problem?

Can anybody help ?

Thanks for any information.

Clio 200 Raider
this happens to me not sure u can do anything about it.

i just try to get used to.

i also have a problem in the morning my car only starts on the 2nd key turn never first time!

Citroen DS3 DSport
My 172 does the same and I agree it is a little annoying. For the 1st time my service light lit up tonight shortly after starting the car today but reset itself when I stopped and restarted the car. It had never done this before but strangely today I'd been reading about someone else having this problem on the forum then it happens to my car :D

black gold 182
pretty certain this is a standard thing,i thought it was a problem when i first bought my 182 last year but have been assured by my garage it is standard whilst the engine warms through(well thats what they told me) but more convincingly by mike of rentech who thought this was standard to run a bit lumpy for the first couple of minutes.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Yeah I've never really worried about it as a search on here showed it was very common. The car basically comes on and off power even though I hold the accelerator pedal in the same position. All is perfect after 2 or 3 minutes.

Hi, mate being having the exact same problem, also when i reached higher revs it seemed to jerk lots was quite scary and annoying. However i put some redex in when i filled up today and the engine has never been so smooth feels really nice again. Also the car actually seems powerful too.

I have a 03 172 cup

try that and it may help

Scirocco GT 210
Mine drives perfectly fine from the moment I turn the engine on. The idle is as rough as f**k for the first few minutes though.

It's normal, wouldn't worry about it.

tiTTy & SV650
Steve2004 said:
Mine drives perfectly fine from the moment I turn the engine on. The idle is as rough as f**k for the first few minutes though.

It's normal, wouldn't worry about it.

same, I think its to help with the emissions - but cant remember

106 GTi
As Rory says something to do with the only way the car will go through the emmisions tests!

I just let mine idle for a minute or two on the drive.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks for your comments. I see this is a common problem but surely it can be fixed?

This is the only car i've experienced this in and to be honest its really annoying :mad: especially when giving friends a lift.

I'm gonna try waiting for a few minutes then drive off and see if this helps, just means i cant make a quick getaway from work :(

tiTTy & SV650
sounds like yours might be worse than the rest if its annoying you that much, cant say it bothers me.

turn the air con off? might make it less of an issue.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Most Renaults have something called an Engine temp sensor - this is situated on the thermostat housing and detects the water temperature in the engine. When the water is cold it sends a message to the ECU which increases air / fuel mixture so it starts and runs better from cold - its basically an electric choke. When the eng temp sensor is faulty it will not do this so it will be like trying to start an old style car with a manual choke, without pulling the choke lever. What can also happen is the opposite - when the engine is warm and you came to start the car it thinks it is cold so increases air / fuel and this can sometimes cause the car to flood.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
From the replies it looks like everybody just puts up with it. Looks like i will have to do the same :( .

I started the car today then waited a minute or so until the idle had come down to just above 1000 rpm and drove off and it was ok.

cheers

Clio Dynamique 1.6 16v
I had this problem on/off for quite a while, and then some sensor linked to my carboretor broke, had that fixed and it hasn't happened since..............

MK1 Clio Versailles
Hmm, I have a similar issue with mine. I thought perhaps the accelerator lever was a bit loose or dodgy, however when in the low gears, 1, 2 and sometimes 3, if I rev it high, or change fast, I tend to bounce fowards quite a bit.

Now, if I do a slow gentle change and accelerate nice and gently, it doesn't happen. I presume this is the feature everyones mentioned on here. Jerky gear changes can be annoying though, especially if I acclerate quickly when pulling off :(

clio 172
Rich said:
I just let mine idle for a minute or two on the drive.

Thats the best thing to do if it is annoying you!!!

Let it warm up on the drive, if that solves the problem....do it every day!!

Easy fix!!!:rasp:

Don't know how much to read into this, but a Renault mechanic told me it was because all Renaults are set up to run lean at idle because of emmissions issues.

My 172 is a bit hesitant when driving from cold - only noticed it since I moved house (previously I had 8 low-speed speed humps to negiotate and after the 3 mins it took me to just past that my car was fine). Have found that running it on 99RON had helped make it smoother from cold, might be worth trying if you're currently on 95.

J

Jim NM

It's deffo normal for 172's to do this. Once warm they are sound. When I first got mine I thought it was me being a crap driver ( prolly partly anways) LOL :) Once hot they are great fun to drive. So smoooooth!!!! (compared to my old R5 GT Turbo the growler) the 172 is a far superior motor especially on the top end (listen at me after owing 2 Turbos for over 13 years. I now have clean hands too LOL.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Its because of tough Euro emmission laws, its not a fault.. its the only way they could get it through the emmissions tests to make it run lean..

Black 172
My 172 is rough on idle, it doesnt like starting when it is cold !! when sat in traffic i can feel it all the time! and it also doesnt like it if you turn the engine off once its warm, then start it up shortly after. I am pretty sure its a Renault thing and its just the way the car is set up. The idle bothers me sometimes as i can feel my car jittering and it can be annoying.

PH1 172
My 172 is rough on idle, it doesnt like starting when it is cold !! when sat in traffic i can feel it all the time! and it also doesnt like it if you turn the engine off once its warm, then start it up shortly after. I am pretty sure its a Renault thing and its just the way the car is set up. The idle bothers me sometimes as i can feel my car jittering and it can be annoying.

Get the same thing but I have got used to it and the jittering on idle just makes me think about the 2.0l engine in a such a tiny car going to unleash when you get open road. Sometimes takes 2 turns of the key to start idles at 750-900rpm and then drive about carefully while it warms up and the temp needle has risen a fair amount but I notice the idle jittering is a little but better and still sits at 750-850rpm.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Ok i wonder if anybody can help with any information about this or help fix it.

Basically when the car is cold it starts ok, but the problem is driving it. I know you should never thrash a car when its cold...so i dont. But the car drives like it has kangaroo petrol until the engine heats up to normal operating temperatures then its fine. Ive heard its some safety thing to stop you driving it hard when cold, but im not driving it hard...im driving it normal. The other problem is it doesnt always happen all the time, but recently its happening just about ever other day. Its the only thing thats annoying me about my 2004 clio 172 cup sport and i want to get it fixed.

I just wondered if anybody else had this problem?

Can anybody help ?

Thanks for any information.

My car recently had the centre section of the exhaust replaced due to a rattling baffle. This seems to have cured the problem with cold starts.
icon7.gif