ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Clio 200RS half-track. Involves fire and lefthanded-ness.

200 cup.
Dear Cliosport.

A post to say hi, and ask for some assistance if I may... a little about me first; I'm Andy, 37, and reasonably spanner competent. Haven't had many cars over the years as bikes have been, and remain, the first love. But I like me french stuff because it handles well enough to raise a smile, revs reasonably high - I do like revs, and seem kinda strong enough to put up with some use and abuse without too much hassle. And, the main bit; if I, or anyone else renders my Clio 2 foot shorter and worth about 4 quid its not the end of the world. I find this is a key factor in me being able to play properly. Its why the bike has/d carbon wheels, titanium rods, the finest Akropovic system I could find... but its painted rattle can gloss grey. Because there was some tins begging.

It would be kinda cool to chop the back out of the car, slip in some tracks, some canvas sides and invade a small poor country. But half track is more the state I want when finished. So some bits will be proper track - the suspension will need to be decent adjustable stuff. But the bulk of the interior is staying put. Why?

Of all the transport I have access to. Nobody has 4 seats. Like no one. Bikes take 2 sometimes. Mine normally just the one seat for me. I have a tracky BMW, an E36. Communication between the 2 seats in this is fine. Provided your stationary. No sound deadening anywhere. Absolutely stripped out, and when I say this, the spot weld drill has been out in force. All unnecesary brackets have gone. The wiring is 5kg lighter from the cabin. And the boot hinges are made of drillium. Good stuff, but it took me a full winter to save up and re-build the engine, and no one needs 300+ bhp to wobble 2km to work. So I use my push bike most days. I can use vans through work and friends. Still not 4 seats though.

So normally when an alternator overheats to the point of catching fire this is a bad thing (at least it is a best guesstimate the alternator was the culprit). This has toasted the front right of the engine bay, and heat damaged a few other things. Fortuitously the car caught fire at La Source hairpin, then rolled toward Eau Rouge where upon the driver decided the fire was unlikely to put itself out and a marshal with fire extinguisher might. Fast forward 12 months in which no one has bothered to do anything constructive with 'my' car and one cheeky bid later. Sorted. Now what?

So I have a 2010... I think. Blue... it's definately mostly blue. Facelift RS 200 Cup thingy, without Recaro's. But with a boot full of grubby goodies. Like enough panels to make it car shaped again as the bumper, wings and bonnet distorted beyond help. Actually the bonnet could live again, but a white one was sourced. I've inner arch liners too. And two dead starter motors, new! made into one good one. And a spare engine with lots of sensors still in tact. And plastic pipes, with coil sticks and so on. And a good gearbox with no crunchy syncros - thankfully its manual and not the garbage new flappy spazbox thing.

So make a good engine out of two. If your wondering why not just put the spare engine in, good question. Someone selected a lower gear than optimum. This sheared the flywheel bolts instantly. Actually that can't be true... since all 10 fronts wheel bolts were bent in this impressive feck up that must have happened fractionally before the flywheel high tensile muliple fasteners sheared. Some people. So aside from the small problem of the bearing speeds being a smidge too fast... and the rods being ovalled. There ought to be one decent engine in there. It would be very easy to skim heads and dial in cams at this point. And lighten flywheels, whilst fitting a decent clutch. But there is little point in going too far. Just that if the heads off it'd be rude not too right?

1) If you had a blank canvas what would you do to the engine WITHOUT massive money spending? Simpler cost effective, preventative maintenance stuff. Do Clio's eat tensioner pulleys? Is a belt underdrive kit useful? Who's clutch? I am aware Clio clutches and release bearings are a weak link - but who's are a sensible replacement/upgrade?

2) It will be getting better engine mounts (as oe ones are melted). I like the KTR ones. I can get them as there is some money, just keep it sensible. A friend has poly bushed black?, and the bonnet and dash rattle like feck. This is annoying. But purple ones? Or just do it properly with KTR first?

3) Under bonnet burnt bits. Its left hand drive. I need to get several bits. But since I have never taken a Clio apart its a bit of a game to know what isn't there. How many there were. And what its called. If it was an older BMW I would go to a website called Real OEM and type a vin number in. I can then cross reference parts and see what is the same. Could anyone help with what used to be called a microfiche - exploded views of various sub assemblies so you know what parts, how its goes together, and the part numbers of what to source to make this thing run again.

3A) the motor sub loom. I assume (hope to goodness) its a sub loom. Are they the same lhd and rhd? And where is the join/plug? There is one on uk Evilbay, but without part number to cross check. The brake system is obviously mounted in different places, but does this affect which sub loom?

4) Not sure about suspension yet. It does need to get a little more camber as Clio's seem to like this. Not silly, but more than stock. Adjustable top mounts?

This first bit is to buy all the bits in time for April, then I can get at the car again, readied for a summer on the Ring and Spa with a bit of luck.

Cheers guys.

Andy