ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Corsa Vxr (My come back to the car scene)

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I appreciate this may not be everyone's cup of tea, however I've been out of the car game for a while pottering about with bikes and fancied a change from the norm.

Had been hankering for a project for a while, used to have a Clio 172 that I spent a fortune on really nothing went untouched. So after not touching a car in years and buying the Mrs an Abarth 595 I decided it was time to get myself something to occupy my spare time, as the bikes where getting a little dangerous.

Fancied another hatchback and seeing as I had been down the Clio route before I decided on something turbo, it was a toss up between the corsa and Astra vxr however I wasn't a fan of the Astra interior so set on finding myself a cheap corsa vxr.

The car has a full custom turbo back exhaust with pre cat decat.
Pipercross foam filter
Strut brace
Full smd conversion in blue
Eonon head-unit
Lowered on springs all round
And a boost gauge

I'm not sure if the car has been mapped but it may be something I do in the future. Credit to the previous owner he has kept the paint in great condition for its age, although there is some bubbling rust on the arches witch is on the agenda to be fixed.

Here's some pics (apologies for the poor quality photobucket ruins them I will have to find a different host.)

c9890012ee19b279a1a6533495973dc2.jpg

FCDB25AF-650F-412A-959E-992ABA5DFCBD.jpg

215A3523-4550-4403-8BBA-F2DBE60D8A0D.jpg

8b3345af9a8d29d850e11847365597fb.jpg

First thing I've done is sort the boost gauge as it was flapping around with no surround.

During:

777d6abec47c0a33d68306ad6edc41f4.jpg

After:

C40124C3-B994-454F-B0FB-0208F57EDFF6.jpg

And today I've added my private plate and gave it a general clean.

6ce5f951661467582dd76a94ae17407f.jpg

20cb4cfaba51a42a5c7abda0ee4c7981.jpg

24b756b16f325b6a67c66996ecde5cb9.jpg

05f7ec2176457f41616b7aa28118a76c.jpg

2a453b926fcf0f29f65d476f5d26aede.jpg

Plans are
Sort the paintwork
Add a sports cat to the exhaust (waiting to go on)
Address the suspention most likely coilovers
Give it a good going over service and enjoy

I will most likely add more as I go along.

Thanks

Looks very smart that, has to be one of the best colours too! It's a tough choice between astra and corsa isn't it but when I was after one three years ago, I went for the Astra in the end (older shape 06 plate). Easy to tune and make a great sound!

Bet that 595 is fun!!! :grimacing:

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Nice mate.

Thanks

Looks very smart that, has to be one of the best colours too! It's a tough choice between astra and corsa isn't it but when I was after one three years ago, I went for the Astra in the end (older shape 06 plate). Easy to tune and make a great sound!

Bet that 595 is fun!!! :grimacing:

Thanks, I originally wanted an arctic edition for the fact it came with a Remus and in white. However I'm glad i bought this I'm coming round to the blue it really does shine up well. Plus this was half the price of a nice Arctic.

The Only 2 issues I had with the Astra where the dated interior and the fact they seem very common around here. They do sound great though.

The abarth is a cracking car, massively basic but insane fun. I really wanted to put an exhaust on it however the Mrs said no.

Agreed! They are a very common car haha! The Arctic's are lovely but were waaay too expensive when I was looking as they were almost new, as was the Nurburgring also just out of reach (also in white with a Remus) even though that was a little cheaper than the Arctic! Least those had the newer Piano black dash, being an 06 mine had the silver dash which really did date it!

Forgot to mention, boost gauge looks great in the vent :up:

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed! They are a very common car haha! The Arctic's are lovely but were waaay too expensive when I was looking as they were almost new, as was the Nurburgring also just out of reach (also in white with a Remus) even though that was a little cheaper than the Arctic! Least those had the newer Piano black dash, being an 06 mine had the silver dash which really did date it!

Forgot to mention, boost gauge looks great in the vent :up:

A couple of my friends had the Nurburgring Astras a few years ago, they sounded crazy and granted the interior was better in those than the normal ones they still command solid money for a good one.

I'm not sold on the boost gauge, as you say it looks good but it really doesn't have a function bit of a gimmick. I'd rather have oil temp or something. It may be one of those things I put back to standard unless the bug bites to run some more power.

Clio 197
I love the look of these VXRs, always wanted one in the same colour too. What sort of power is it running? and is torque steer a problem on these?

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome colour. Best corsa shape too..

Thanks the colour really is growing on me.

I love the look of these VXRs, always wanted one in the same colour too. What sort of power is it running? and is torque steer a problem on these?

I recon it could be maybe about 200bhp+ with the exhaust and filter if it has been mapped, but that's me guessing. I will get it on a rolling road and map it if it hasn't already been done in the near future.

2nd to 3rd it does have a bit of torque steer but only really an issue if you've not got 2 hands on the wheel. I learned this the hard was just after I picked it up, was not expecting it in the slightest.

I was seriously tempted by one of these instead of a 182, but the 4th piston issue put me off, although it doesn't seem too much of a common problem now

My main concern was the handling also, which I'd be interested to know how it compares with your 172?

But lovely cars - look awesome, and the interior is lush with the Recaros as standard, and you've definitely gone for the right colour!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I don't see many on the road, I've always liked the way they look.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I was seriously tempted by one of these instead of a 182, but the 4th piston issue put me off, although it doesn't seem too much of a common problem now

My main concern was the handling also, which I'd be interested to know how it compares with your 172?

But lovely cars - look awesome, and the interior is lush with the Recaros as standard, and you've definitely gone for the right colour!

I think the 4th piston thing is more common in mapped cars however it may be a bit of a mith, the ones I've seen fail it seams liked they haven't been looked after and not warmed up and cooled down before and after a spirited drive. I'd have been pissed about it if I was buying a nearly new car but this is 9 years old now so you come to expect some "reliability" issues.

It's a totally different animal to the 172 the Clio had coilovers, fully polybushed, solid top mounts uncomfortable but handled like a go cart. With this it will still take the corners but more of a leisurely fashion, I plan on a set of coilovers however don't want to loose the comfort so debating just a fresh set of upgraded dampers and springs.

Thanks the Recaros where a massive selling point.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I love these, but I hate the scene that goes with it. I can't put my finger on it but when I think of them I just associate it with the people who normally drive them, and that's enough to make me not want one. That makes me sound so shallow haha

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I love these, but I hate the scene that goes with it. I can't put my finger on it but when I think of them I just associate it with the people who normally drive them, and that's enough to make me not want one. That makes me sound so shallow haha

For years and years I was the same, even with a few friends having these and the Astras. It was a huge mental block I had to lift to start looking at these however it ticked most of the boxes for me.

The Vxr forum I've been on to get some much needed info is dreadful, hence why I'm back on here and enjoying it.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair, I noticed that with the VXR forum as well from what I can remember, I wasn't on it long!!

Totally different here :up:

You really need to be selective on what you read and pay attention to I feel,I don't find myself reading through the threads on there and just using the search function on what I need to know.

I certainly won't be going to any meets that's for sure.

RB Clio 182
I had a stage 3 Arden then a Corsa Nurburgring, the Nurburgring was a different animal in the twisties but they are slow in a straight line.

To get the car to stage 3(230hp) with good bits is 2k+, the same as a low blow Clio 182 kit which is a different animal.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
I had a stage 3 Arden then a Corsa Nurburgring, the Nurburgring was a different animal in the twisties but they are slow in a straight line.

To get the car to stage 3(230hp) with good bits is 2k+, the same as a low blow Clio 182 kit which is a different animal.

I bet the stage 3 was fun! I doubt I will be doing anything other than map this and tidy up the paintwork.

I've been looking at evos for a while now so when the time comes for more power I think that's where my money will be going. I've learned my lesson with previous cars throwing money at them.

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Well slight update,
Just after reciving my service kit from opie oils (great service can't recommend them enough) Hoping to have had it serviced Monday.

Took the car its first spirited drive and pretty much bang on 90k miles the turbo has gone bang. Was stuck in the middle of no where 45 miles from home with no signal at 2330, managed to limp the car to the motorway and sat in 6th gear under boost at 50mph hoping I wouldn't do further damage.

So today I've not done much as I'm not a mechanic but whiped the intake off so look down into the turbo, can't see the blades as there is a 90bend before the turbo itself, however I've been greeted to a load of oily gritt in the bend. All the other fluids look ok and it's not dropped any oil etc.

So off to my mechanic early this week to find out the fate of the car, I'm hoping just to recondition the turbo and hoping the engine is ok. If not I think it will just be broken for parts as I'm not overly in love with it.

Who said Vauxhalls ain't reliable

RB Clio 182
Well slight update,
Just after reciving my service kit from opie oils (great service can't recommend them enough) Hoping to have had it serviced Monday.

Took the car its first spirited drive and pretty much bang on 90k miles the turbo has gone bang. Was stuck in the middle of no where 45 miles from home with no signal at 2330, managed to limp the car to the motorway and sat in 6th gear under boost at 50mph hoping I wouldn't do further damage.

So today I've not done much as I'm not a mechanic but whiped the intake off so look down into the turbo, can't see the blades as there is a 90bend before the turbo itself, however I've been greeted to a load of oily gritt in the bend. All the other fluids look ok and it's not dropped any oil etc.

So off to my mechanic early this week to find out the fate of the car, I'm hoping just to recondition the turbo and hoping the engine is ok. If not I think it will just be broken for parts as I'm not overly in love with it.

Who said Vauxhalls ain't reliable
Ill still have a guess at piston 4.

That's a shame. Hope it turns out ok
I like these Tbh. One on the estate I work on and it sounds great! Pops on over run etc.

Had an astra nurburgring for 2 years and was utterly addicted to the noise! Such a child

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
That's a shame. Hope it turns out ok
I like these Tbh. One on the estate I work on and it sounds great! Pops on over run etc.

Had an astra nurburgring for 2 years and was utterly addicted to the noise! Such a child

These things happen I'm not overly surprised, it would have been this or something else.
It will be compression tested early this week to check its not a piston 4 issue and take it from there.

I wanted an Astra when I got this for the childish noise but couldn't get on with the interior. However this sounds almost identical with the precat decat and 3 piece exhaust, maybe a little loud.