ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 'I'ts a keeper'

vinp182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182
This project thread isn't really going to be a project as such.. There will be bare minimum modifications, I'm just sharing my time with the car :D

So the car in question is a 182, which I've owned from new since 2004..

Here's the only picture I have from around that time

8.jpg

Since owning the car all I've done is replace the brake pads and serviced it.. I'ts never been back to Renault or to any garage (except for MOT)... I've done all of the maintenance myself
About 3 years into ownership I was lucky enough to get a company car of my choice (within budget) so after looking at many cars I decided on a 350z which had a 2 month order wait :(... However they did give me a brand new Astra VXR to play with while I waited :D Anyway as the clio was no longer going to be used we decided to sell my other halfs Corsa and she could use the clio to go to work and back, which she has done..
The car is quite low mileage, around the 50,000 mark as she only works around 2 miles away from home lol

Now I'm quite big into mr2's so the clio's maintenance has dropped due to it never letting us down (wrong I know) The cam belt needs doing, the clutch is slipping, I'ts not been serviced in about 18 months and there are 1 or 2 other little things that need my attention

Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago a girl drove into the back of the car which bent the exhaust and scratched the rear bumper :(

I've taken the car off the road until I'ts fixed so while I'ts here I decided to tackle one of the 'easy' jobs - Washer bottle pump . . . . I had to remove the bonnet to get the wipers off lol and getting the pump out is a little fiddly but its out and I've got a new one here waiting to go in when I get chance

The bumper will be going off for paint next week but I'm undecided on exhaust.... I feel the only thing lacking from this sporty little car is a nice sporty sound so I'm undecided weather to go for a standard from Renault or a new Yozza and give it that much needed rasp.. Opinions from you guys would be great :cool:

In the next couple of months I'll be booking the car in for a cambelt and clutch change and maybe a service at the same time

Pic of the bent tail pipe
6176821B-BB12-4B31-B88C-C35497F46AE2-5399-000006DD6965F4A9.jpg

Here's a pic of what my GF is driving for a while.... One of my other projects mk2 mr2 with V6 conversion (again all work done by myself)
ADFC41B6-5D46-4692-A816-1B55FA74F5BD-3661-0000070DAE39BA0C.jpg

Awesome. Glad the little Clio has looked after you well for it's whole life. Did I take it the wrong way or are you saying that the belts have never been done before? If not then get them done asap!

Also, no chance I would go back to Renault for a new exhaust. Surprised your standard one has lasted so long though. Mines only on 38k and the exhaust rusted off. Treat the car to a nice new stainless system.

Nice looking garage too by the way :)

vinp182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182
Yeah dude you read right, no belts have ever been changed... I'ts number 1 priority before it goes back on the road

vinp182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182
Been nearly 12 months since I updated this.. About 3 days after we had the rear bumper repaired my GF reversed into a post in a carpark denting the rear quarter right by the fuel filler :( Since then the car has sat at my work feeling sorry for itself and now it has no tax, mot or insurance
Friday just gone I had an amazing idea of buying a cambelt kit, aux kit, dephaser pulley, etc and have a bash at getting them done.. I've done this kind of work many times but never on a clio. It also needs a new clutch so I'll be doing that at the same time :D
Couple of pics of my progress on Friday

null_zpsbe238b94.jpg

null_zps2f937a93.jpg
null_zpsb935159e.jpg
null_zps0372d1eb.jpg

vinp182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182
Been working on the car when I get chance, half hour here and there.. Managed to get the engine out yesterday and exposed the cambelt ready for replacement.. While removing the driveshaft I noticed that one of the front springs has snapped so I've ordered a set of Eibach springs along with a new clutch kit
Should get the cambelt kit, aux belt kit, dephaser pulley, water pump and thermostat done today all being well :)

null_zps1d2d39a6.jpg

vinp182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182
Yeah the standard rear lights are going back on :)
Split the engine and box and removed the clutch ready for the new one.. Also got the new dephaser pulley and cambelt kit fitted
Hopefully I'll get enough time on it tomorrow to get the rest of the new bits on and ready to go back into the car

vinp182

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio182
So the new clutch, Aux belt kit, water pump and thermostat got fitted last week and I got the engine back into the car and the car mostly back together.. Fitted new front springs on monday and refitted the bumper and bonnet and took it for an mot
Unfortunately it failed on a rear strut, a number plate light and a CV boot clamp.... Got all those bits done and fitted new rear springs and went back for mot monday afternoon and passed :D
Just gotta wait until Monday now to tax it and we can start using it again
Fitted my new cliosport tax disc holder and sticker this morning and I'll be giving it a good old clean before the weekend :D

71D4CA2B-B086-4CA2-88AC-D1D5642B0FDF_zps5qdrirwo.jpg

84394DC4-01F7-4F32-AE2D-304B858A6011_zpsqsn5khla.jpg

C8E7017E-D3EF-4AD7-8980-4A7D50F14583_zpspaqxreny.jpg

74CB910B-57AB-4B32-BD66-7061CE6C7507_zpstpyvqx9h.jpg

EA85C155-2C3F-4CEF-8329-2B2553A75C9A_zpsv0imky85.jpg