ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Tight Ar$e

133/225/CLS AMG
Well thought I'd start myself a project thread for fairly recently acquired 2003 Clio 172 as I have some plans lined up for it.

The background is that a good friend of mine bought the car last year for around £3k. It had 50k on a the clock and a full service history, was in mint condition and he loved it.

Anyway, as much as he loved it his Mrs wasn't so keen as they shared the car. They also weren't keen on the fuel consumption. Anyway, he had a little mishap with the car which resulted in it looking like this.....

b88d2161.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

Otherwise though the car was perfect. Anyway he wanted a quick sell and feared the trade in would be rubbish with the cosmetic damage so offered it to me for £800!!!! He knew I'd look after it and having been a Renault fan all my life and at that price how could I say no?

So I got cracking on the car, mainly enjoying it as a daily driver but making a few little changes along the way. LED sidelights to match the whiteness of the Xenons to begin with...

5e0afa52.jpg

Then a couple of LED bulbs for the interior...

d50a84e2.jpg

92e54ac1.jpg

If anyone is interested they are just cheapo ones from E-Bay. They are the five LED bulbs as I found lesser ones weren't really bright enough.

fc38a1bd.jpg

She's got a few random stickers, mainly because I'm not taking the car too seriously. Need to get me a ClioSport.net one soon.

Pistonhead1.jpg

She's now a 182 ;) ;)

Clio172-1821.jpg

Interior wise she's in very good condition, the leather has stayed nice with the aid of my mate using Autoglym Leather Care Cream on them a few times since he bought it. Also I had some custom cut chequer plate steel mats lying around from my last Clio 172. Only been sitting redundant for 6 years but I still think they look quite cool and they're hard wearing!!

Cliointerior.jpg

And now the outside having had the exterior work done on the car. Cost me in the region of £600 to have the dent pulled out and the entire front bumper and most of he drivers side sprayed.

Clio2.jpg

Clio3.jpg

Cliocolour3.jpg

Clio5.jpg

Being French it hasn't all been straight forward so far. She failed her first MOT with me due to a hole in the back box and excess play in the suspension ball joints. I decided to replace the back box with a custom made Powerflow back box. Went for a 3" tailpipe and requested the noise to sound purposeful but not chavvy, they got it just right. :)

Tailpipe1.png

So far that's pretty much it. I have a set of standard silver door bullets on their way to me so I'll go OEM with them for now. I intend on attempting Plastidipping the wheels matt black so may do these current door bullets matt to match.

133/225/CLS AMG
Everyone says that haha.

She's cost me a total of £1,700 to get into it's current state but she's got to be worth £2k or a little more now. Thing is I'm loving driving her, not only are these cars surprisingly quick and fun, it's worry free motoring!! I don't worry about this car like I do my other two, it just doesn't trigger my OCD haha

133/225/CLS AMG
Couple of updates to the 172. Had a sprayer friend of mine spray the door bullets body coloured for me as the ones on the car were sprayed black and not done especially well.

Clio2-1_zps0fc4d078.png

Next up I had a go at wrapping some of the interior parts with some vinyl my mate gave me when I bought the car. The first attempt was ok but the larger bits of trim needed re-doing so ordered some more off eBay and redid the lot.

Before
Trim_zpsa9bb13fb.jpg

After
2-14_zps93389173.jpg

and fitted
Trim2_zps1132799a.jpg

Trim3_zps627623c8.jpg

Ok so it's not real and most people would know that but I rather like it and being darker actually tones down the OEM silver.