ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Projector and Screen

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
I'm looking into buying a projector and a screen but I'm completely new to them so was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas what to get.

I will be using it for 3D movies, and I'm thinking of getting a PS4 so will be used for that also. The room it will be used in has a blackout blind so it can be pitch black for watching movies but I wouldn't want it like this all the time.

I've seen the below items during my one day of research but not sure if these are the best for the price? Looking to spend a maximum of £800ish.

Screen

Projector

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
http://www.ebuyer.com/543014-optoma-hd131xe-ultimate-full-hd-1080p-3d-projector-hd131xe

I've spent quite a bit of time looking at different models to replace my HD200x - The one I linked seems to come up trumps (All be it by a small margin) Lens for throw distance is likely going to be your decider.

Only issues I've had is finding a genuine replacement bulbs (Important as non OEM spec can melt and destroy the projector lens engine) and if anything goes wrong the availability of parts is dire. Best to take out product support in case the worse happens. Optoma colour wheels are prone to getting dirty too, optoma ask for the unit for 2/3 weeks to clean this. It can be done yourself if you are handy with screwdrivers as it does not involve the opening of the optical unit, just remove the lid and locate the small sensor to the side of the wheel.

Screen wise, I just use a plain white wall - I do have a screen but the difference isn't that noticeable (Depends entirely on your wall, it will emphasise cracks in paint)

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
Thanks for the reply. The Optoma does look slightly better and the price on ebuyer seems really good.

How do I calculate screen size I will need based on the room size and projector?

172 Cup
For your budget i would be looking a epson tw5900. These are proper lcd home cinema projectors and quite frankly amazing. The benq is a dlp projector meaning you get the rainbow effect which personally i am not a fan of.

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
For your budget i would be looking a epson tw5900. These are proper lcd home cinema projectors and quite frankly amazing. The benq is a dlp projector meaning you get the rainbow effect which personally i am not a fan of.

I can't seem to find one of them for sub £1k?

172 Cup
Keep an eye out on ebay for any ex demo ones, i got one for around 600 and was as good as brand new.