ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Proper Job

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Mental. I still think it's mad that you can pass your test, have f**k all experience and drive a quick car. Should be limited to a certain engine size for 12months.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I'm 18, I got the Clio before I passed my test and have been driving for 20 months now...I'm a sensible driver and no way would I fcuk about, no matter how good/sh*t the car is I'm driving.

I'd love a 1*2 but can't get insurance for any less than £5000, hence why I've built a rep. My insurance was £3000 tpft last year because I was 17!

I don't think it's fair that I can't get insured, however I totally agree with what Daniel is saying about cars for certain ages. If I'd have jumped straight into an RS I guess I'd have been a bit stupid.

Yozz'd up 182
Ive just turned 20 and had my RS at 19 but even now i wouldnt say ive ever pushed it round corners i think something could go wrong.

Yeah il admit ive probably broken the speed limits at times and ive nailed it down slip roads etc but if i thought there was a chance it could slip/spin/flip then i wouldn't put my foot down.

Until i do a track day or have some tution id rather not find the limits of the car on a public road.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Ive just turned 20 and had my RS at 19 but even now i wouldnt say ive ever pushed it round corners i think something could go wrong.

Yeah il admit ive probably broken the speed limits at times and ive nailed it down slip roads etc but if i thought there was a chance it could slip/spin/flip then i wouldn't put my foot down.

Until i do a track day or have some tution id rather not find the limits of the car on a public road.

If i'm being honest, you should never find the limits of the car on the public road! Its never the time or the place on a public road, you never know whats coming around the next corner.

I'm only 22 but I learnt early that showing off was a bad thing in a car, and luckily it didn't cost me much or hurt anyone. I think it all depends on your attitude as to whether or not you can drive a powerful car at a young age. Its not inexperience that caused this crash its stupidity. My parents had no issues with me buying a S4 (2.7 Twin Turbo) at 21 as they know I'm sensible and drive carefully on public roads.

Yozz'd up 182
Thats what i meant sorry. I didnt word it very well.

Because its not just your life your risking.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Thats what i meant sorry. I didnt word it very well.

Because its not just your life your risking.

Ah ok good stuff. Your 20 and have had a RS for a year and haven't done a track day yet! What you waiting for!!!!... Its Great Fun!

Yozz'd up 182
Haha il get to it! i think i may have that as my new years resolution!

Something ive wanted too do for a while but never got round too it.

And just to stay on topic if hed of kept his fast driving to the track then maybe their of been enough run off to keep his from being damaged.

williams and trophy
sorry but im going to disagree woth some of you.......surprisingly. i learnt the limits of my cars on the local moorland roads, mainly at night, can see the headlights coming the other way and adjust speed accordingly. now my first cars were minis, not overly quick il admit, but with a few choice mods the 1275s were capable of showing most of my mates xr2s/3/3i's/supersports etc a clean pair of heels. i think personally pushing it on an empty road helps with gaining experience. blind corners, launch spots, off camber corners, slippy manhole covers etc etc are things you will come across every day on the road. extremely rare on a track tho. these are things you need to know about to be a safe driver on the road, they teach you the ability to read the road. im not saying iv never had an accident, but the 1 or 2 iv had could have been avoided if the other driver involved had the ability to read the road and drive accordingly.

my mum wont even get in a car im driving, hasnt done since i was 18, but shes never moaned about any car ov had cos she knows in the 30 years iv been driving (this includes the ragging round fields and driving her and my dads stock cars etc round the pits at a tender age) have taught me enough to know when its safe to give it some and when it isnt

Bumder With A Buffer
It is Ridiculous Dan I agree but if they can afford it at that age who' to stop them. If I could have drievn one at that age I would have no matter what my parents said.

I wouldn't have piloted mine into a field though.

Anyway, very nasty crash and i've also seen a cup that was rolled quite a few time and the owner got out alive.
If you seen where the roof was sitting you'd wonder how he did manage to get out. Unreal safety for a small car.

I agree with Dan.

I also think that until you have x amounts of driving years under your belt you should be limited to say a 1.4 maximum for your first few years.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I agree with Dan.

I also think that until you have x amounts of driving years under your belt you should be limited to say a 1.4 maximum for your first few years.
Agreed, I would have had an accident driving a 2.0 litre aswell.

Dave small engined cars take the ease of speed away. Daniel pointed that out aswell.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Ill say it again.

A cars speed is governed by the driver, not the car.

He could have been driving a 1.2 at 100mph & crashed.

Yep I agree... this is essentially what I was trying to say when i said this:

I think it all depends on your attitude as to whether or not you can drive a powerful car at a young age. Its not inexperience that caused this crash its stupidity.

Bumder With A Buffer
Yep I agree... this is essentially what I was trying to say when i said this:

I think it all depends on your attitude as to whether or not you can drive a powerful car at a young age. Its not inexperience that caused this crash its stupidity.

Remember we are not talking about car enthusiasts here we are talking about "general public" which lets face it are f**king morons.

In my area the amount of crashes by newly passed people in overly powered cars far outweigh those in lower ones. If I drive my missus car at 40 and floor it around the roundabout the most I will get is a bit of tyre screech and maybe some understeer. Do it in mine and all hell breaks loose (its fun though :)) il be drifting around the roundabout..that caught me out first few days of having the car.

And I disagree with the whole age thing and attitude. I still get caught out and have been driving 11 years. Thats not attitude thats experience. Yes there are "Exceptions" but they are in the minority. Im no saint when it comes to driving.

Reason for all this I blame solely on the lack of teaching proper driving and all these "5 day" car test bullshit. The days of "learning to drive" have gone and been replaced with getting you to pass the test. My old man is a driving instructor and he see's pupils that have been on these courses..failed (and wasted £600-£700)..then come to him for lessons and can't even reverse around a corner or park.

I used to be of the view that "its the driver not how powerfull the car is" , but that is not the case nowadays, mainly for the reason stated above. Times have changed (and not for the better)

williams and trophy
He proabably wouldnt be able to hit 100mph in a 1.2

lol...... 100 can be reached in pretty much any car nowadays. even back 20 years ago the minis/festas/scorts were capable of hitting over 100.

i love thos place tbh, slating the guy for doing the exact same thing you would all do given the chance. and i dont mean the running outta talent and crashing bit. if you all keep to the speed limits like you profess, why do you own a hot hatch? im pretty sure all the ppl slaggong him off have exceeded the speed limit. time for yous to get down off the soap box methinks

Hyundai i40
Reason for all this I blame solely on the lack of teaching proper driving and all these "5 day" car test bulls**t. The days of "learning to drive" have gone and been replaced with getting you to pass the test. My old man is a driving instructor and he see's pupils that have been on these courses..failed (and wasted £600-£700)..then come to him for lessons and can't even reverse around a corner or park.

nail on head

the whole you dont start learning to drive till youve passed your test, but maybe if you were taught properly you would know how much of a weapon the car is

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Get out!

Do you know how long it takes to hit 100mph in someones first car. Ie a 1.0 corsa?

You would need a stretch of road that's all i'm saying.

Bumder With A Buffer
lol...... 100 can be reached in pretty much any car nowadays. even back 20 years ago the minis/festas/scorts were capable of hitting over 100.

i love thos place tbh, slating the guy for doing the exact same thing you would all do given the chance. and i dont mean the running outta talent and crashing bit. if you all keep to the speed limits like you profess, why do you own a hot hatch? im pretty sure all the ppl slaggong him off have exceeded the speed limit. time for yous to get down off the soap box methinks

*2 cars start off down a country lane...one a 2.0 the other a 1.0. I bet you the 2.0 would hit 110mph before the other. Say the 2.0L car crashes at a tight right hander 800 yard..There is no way the 1.0 would be doing the same speed at the same corner thus "maybe" not having an accident at the same corner.

Reason for that "driver Attitude"...Yeah ok!

;)

*(all hypothetically speaking of course just an example!)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Get out!

Do you know how long it takes to hit 100mph in someones first car. Ie a 1.0 corsa?

You would need a stretch of road that's all i'm saying.

For me though, thats the problem, to get to decent speed in a 1.0 you need to keep your foot in for a long time!! Drive flat out constantly, etc. In a quick car you just toe it, get to desired speed, slow down again, etc.

Maybe thats just me, but i've had pretty swift cars ever since i passed my test, taught me from a young age how to control a car properly.

williams and trophy
yes. and most moorland roads are a stretch. ffs even my dog slow van can hit 100 within a mile or so

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
*2 cars start off down a country lane...one a 2.0 the other a 1.0. I bet you the 2.0 would hit 110mph before the other. Say the 2.0L car crashes at a tight right hander 800 yard..There is no way the 1.0 would be doing the same speed at the same corner thus "maybe" not having an accident at the same corner.

Ah yes, but the 2.0 Trophy would probably go round the corner at 110.

The 1.2 corsa wouldnt.

Imho a quick car, designed for speed, is possibly safer for a youngster than a slow car, not designed for speed. Purely as it'll mask the mistakes better & help you out a bit more in a tricky situation.

An Evo 8, limited to 80mph for example, would be an epic 1st car - completely idiot proof lol.

Bumder With A Buffer

Why does everyone bang on about the bit in bold? Is their an unwritten rule that says "If one owns a fast hot hatch you are entitled/expected to drive it like a goon" . I never confes ALL the time. But if I do decide to drive like a complete fucktard il go to a trackday at the french car show. (or a Jap show now I suppose)

I know for a fact that driving at 100+ mph on a straight piece of Dual carriageway is far less dangerous then 100mph+ on some back country roads.

Bumder With A Buffer
Ah yes, but the 2.0 Trophy would probably go round the corner at 110.

The 1.2 corsa wouldnt.

Imho a quick car, designed for speed, is possibly safer for a youngster than a slow car, not designed for speed. Purely as it'll mask the mistakes better & help you out a bit more in a tricky situation.

An Evo 8, limited to 80mph for example, would be an epic 1st car - completely idiot proof lol.

I wouldnt say idiot proof! In the dry yes in the snow..not a chance! I've had some 2p/5p/2p monents in he last few days in the snow :eek:

320d
I got my 182 at 19 but didn't crash it into a bush.

Saying that I also didn't go doing 110mph down a country lane; nor did I pay 4k for tpft insurance flol

+1 well a ph1 172 but still same thing.

Its about attitude though, this guy clearly had the wrong one. Saying that i'm glad he was ok. Fortunately he will ,hopefully, have learnt a lesson without damaging his own/anybody else's life.

Clio's hold up bloody well in accidents though to be fair.

williams and trophy

Reason for that "driver Attitude"...Yeah ok!

;)

*(all hypothetically speaking of course just an example!)

lol. hypothetically speaking.... 2.0 lardass volvo, 1.0 reliant kitten with with bike engine. your examples just been blown out the water

Bumder With A Buffer
lol. hypothetically speaking.... 2.0 lardass volvo, 1.0 reliant kitten with with bike engine. your examples just been blown out the water

Now your just being silly.

Okay il re-phrase seeing as your obviously such a pedantic tit ;) Il even use the car seen in the OP.

2 "Standard" cars A clio Trophy and a Saxo start off down a country lane.........

For me though, thats the problem, to get to decent speed in a 1.0 you need to keep your foot in for a long time!! Drive flat out constantly, etc. In a quick car you just toe it, get to desired speed, slow down again, etc.

But that's due to experience. That's how I drive now but it's certainly not how I drove my first car.

I had a Mk1 1.2 and I raced about like a dick constantly. But it was slow. Took forever to build up any speed so I was never going to be in much danger. We were all young once. All had our first days in the car. All learning about car control beyond the 3 point turns and reverse around a corner.

I had a few 'moments' in that Clio because the speed was too big for my experience. My current car is so much faster it's barely even worth the comparison but I'm glad I had that first year in the slow car. Had you given me something that was far faster, I'd have crashed it. Badly.

There is obviously exceptions and people that got faster cars first and never crashed. Well done. But the majority of young people who get a fast car, especially a fast car, are going to crash it. Insurance prices back that up.

Driving along. Flat out coming towards a corner and you misjudge it which is very very easy to do, especially when you're a new driver. Now in my 1.2 I may have hit that corner at 40? 50? Might have been too fast to brake and control it, might not. But in my current car, I'd be doing over 100. That's going to end in tears.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
My first car that I drove on a daily basis had a lot more poke than I ever needed. I never binned that.

It's all down to how you drive it. And most 17 year olds drive like a c**t. Call me a nerd but I respected that I was in a £12,000 car and that I didn't have the experience to drive it anywhere near it's limits on the public road. I think that's why I never did that to it.

That's not to say I drove 100% like a saint, that would be a stupid thing to say.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well yeah, a brand new £12k car is a bit different to a 10 year old £400 one.

Yeah, but then again that could be worse. Seeing as though you don't give a f**k about it. Well, most people I know with old cars don't give a s**t. Which is a laugh 'till they hurt themselves.

Oh I still cared about it. I saved every penny to buy that car, insure it (which was double the cost of the car), tax it, maintain it and buy stupidly big wheels :eek:

Clio 182 + Recaros
F*ck me - they are very lucky to live through that sort of accident. Obviously this was the result of excessive speed, hopefully a very serious lesson learned.

williams and trophy
Now your just being silly.

Okay il re-phrase seeing as your obviously such a pedantic tit ;) Il even use the car seen in the OP.

2 "Standard" cars A clio Trophy and a Saxo start off down a country lane.........

as said above really. trophy is built to go round corners quick-ish. saxo isnt. so the sax even not going as quickly would get into trouble long before the trophy. doesnt mean its safer does it? also doesnt mean it couldnt get up to a ton. thatd be like comparing a trophy to an ex btcc car or suchlike on a track.... i know which id rather be in, the safer and quicker option. unfortunately not everyone can do that either, which is why ppl take theof road cars on track. it also makes me laugh that people liken track driving experience to road driving experience, they are poles apart imho. no oncoming traffic, surface changes, potholes, pedestrians etc etc etc. most track driving is knowing the track, knowing the car and its capabilities.....thats about it. road driving is completely diff.

i still stick by my opinion that theres nothing wrong with giving it a bootful down a country lane when its safe to do so if your driving within yours and the cars comfort/ability zone. just as many of the people slating the trophy driver probably dont either. but they dont have the balls to admit it.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I'll admit I've driven all my cars to the limit on the road. I'll only do that on a few roads I know very well when the conditions allow though. I haven't driven the Megane hard yet though because I don't know it well enough at the moment.

It's not knowing the limit or believing you can defy the laws of physics that causes crashes.